Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

Tank Heater Switch

I have a Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8312SS. It's a 2012. The tank heater switch has the feel of a dummy switch, as if there was nothing wired to the back of the switch. Having taken the panel off, it is in fact wired. Wondering if I could possibly have a bad switch. And does this switch have a light inside the button that lights up when on as does the other 2 switches beside it? Those are the water heater and the water pump. Only had this 2 weeks and the owners manual does not go into great detail about many things. Thanks
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

For clarification, the switch you're talking about controls the heating pads on the water/waste tanks in the camper and on mine, the switch is lit when on as are the water pump and WH (gas) switches. As you've had the panel off, have you checked for 12V DC to the switch itself. If you have 12V to the switch but none out regardless of switch position, the switch is bad and will have to be replaced.

If you need a replacement, it can be ordered through Rockwood parts dept.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

The fuse for the tank heaters may not be located on the panel in your power center. Mine is not. It is located behind it in an "in line" blade type fuse holder. You MAY need to remove the power center from the wall to locate the fuse holder with the bad fuse.

The light in the switch indicates it is receiving power.
If the light is off the fuse could be open.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

Sounds like the switch is bad. My water pump switch suddenly had no "click" so clearly something broke inside. I had to scramble to find a switch to get the water going but it does not match. Its red not blue like the rest. On my panel the water switch is used the most because we turn it off when we leave the trailer, so in the spring after I get and mount the blue one I will keep the red as a spare.

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Tank Heater Switch

Thanks for all the info guys!! I will check to make sure there is 12V going to the switch and then for a bad inline fuse. Not sure if either one of those would take the click outta the fuse when changing positions, but I will definitely check it out. Would anyone have a phone number to Rockwood parts? Seems like their website mostly wants to refer you to the local dealer. They're not very helpful since I didn't make my purchase from them
RickyD929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Try eBay. I have had very good luck finding parts there.

Post a photo of your switch with sizes and I will see what I can do to find you a replacement switch if it is indeed broken.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote