Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

Temporary Outlet

I am looking for some help and not a bunch of criticism if this is a bad idea...

We will be "dry" camping somewhat when we take our camper (Salem Hemisphere 356QB 2016 50 amp) to my uncles lake cabin. I want to be able to use AC and really that is it so here is my question.

He has a 220 outlet on the porch that he used for an AC that is no longer used. Shouldn't we be able to wire that into a 50 amp plug and use this outlet while we are there? I figured I would be sure to only start up one AC at a time so it is not pulling so much all at once.

Also could I run an extension cord to operate the refrigerator? We have an apartment style 120V fridge or can I use the inverter while connected to the outlet above?

I think this could work but I would like to some opinions and thoughts about this before we do it. All feedback is appreciated. This may or may not be happening next week depending on the response I get here.

Thank you.

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2500 6.7L 4x4
2016 Salem Hemisphere 356QB
Andersen Ultimate Hitch (over gooseneck ball)
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Pretty sure you'll fry your trailer plugging into that, since it's probably 50a 240v.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #3

John,Please look up the "No Shock Zone" it tells Exactly how to Wire up what you are asking about! Even REAL electricians Miss wire RV outlets! Youroo!!
Old 06-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
John,Please look up the "No Shock Zone" it tells Exactly how to Wire up what you are asking about! Even REAL electricians Miss wire RV outlets! Youroo!!
Where or what is this "No Shock Zone" is it a thread or something else? Thank you for the reply!

2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 2500 6.7L 4x4
2016 Salem Hemisphere 356QB
Andersen Ultimate Hitch (over gooseneck ball)
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
I am looking for some help and not a bunch of criticism if this is a bad idea...

We will be "dry" camping somewhat when we take our camper (Salem Hemisphere 356QB 2016 50 amp) to my uncles lake cabin. I want to be able to use AC and really that is it so here is my question.

He has a 220 outlet on the porch that he used for an AC that is no longer used. Shouldn't we be able to wire that into a 50 amp plug and use this outlet while we are there? I figured I would be sure to only start up one AC at a time so it is not pulling so much all at once.

Also could I run an extension cord to operate the refrigerator? We have an apartment style 120V fridge or can I use the inverter while connected to the outlet above?

I think this could work but I would like to some opinions and thoughts about this before we do it. All feedback is appreciated. This may or may not be happening next week depending on the response I get here.

Thank you.
It all depends on how it is currently wired. It will need four wires for you to convert over to use on your 120/240 volt split phase RV.

It will need two 120 volt hot legs, a common neutral, and a ground.

Since many of the older 240 volt outlets at house are only going to have 3 wires, (2 hot legs) and either a ground...or a neutral (but not a ground + a neutral).... then you won't be able to easily convert.

Even if you just try to take one of the hot legs from the house 240 volt outlet...you still have to have a ground AND a separate neutral....which both are probably not there presently. You can replace his double pole breaker with a single pole breaker, then rewire using the current 3 wires to make a 30 amp service....and then use a 30 to 50 amp adapter to power up your RV, like you would at a campground with no 50 amp service. It's explained in the link below how to also do this.

Here is a good link to peruse. It explains how to actually adapt things like you may have, and what you will have to do to convert over. It's all explained in the left hand tab links....dependent upon what is currently at the house. Check the appliance link to see first, as well as check out the other tabs which explain it all.

RV Electric

If his outlet has two hot legs, a separate neutral, and a separate ground, you are basically good to go.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Where or what is this "No Shock Zone" is it a thread or something else? Thank you for the reply!
It is a Site everyone should read! Youroo!!
Old 06-27-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Google it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

You should talk to a electrician, tell him what you are going to do. The plug at my house is a 50amp plug but I only get 30amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical