Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

Thermostat flickering.

Hello everyone, have a problem here on my 26 dbh. I'm plugged into shore power and my thermostat worked fine yesterday when we arrived, but when we woke up this morning, It's like a solar calculator in very poor light on the display. You can move the display light from fan, heat and cool but none work. I've turned off the battery and the shore power and turned them back on in order to shut off camper...nothing. I'm lost. I have no cell service back at the camper. So hopefully today yall can give me plenty of advice while I'm out and about, for when I get back. Thank you.
millerman2brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerman2brian View Post
Hello everyone, have a problem here on my 26 dbh. I'm plugged into shore power and my thermostat worked fine yesterday when we arrived, but when we woke up this morning, It's like a solar calculator in very poor light on the display. You can move the display light from fan, heat and cool but none work. I've turned off the battery and the shore power and turned them back on in order to shut off camper...nothing. I'm lost. I have no cell service back at the camper. So hopefully today yall can give me plenty of advice while I'm out and about, for when I get back. Thank you.
What stat do you have? Sounds like a battery problem, check for a loose connection first. Do you have a multi meter? Check the power out of the convertor, only thing will cause that are either a battery or short. Did you change from analog to digital? I hope it's not a dometic? .... Stat could have went south to. You can jumper red to white and see if the FAU will come on. If it comes on your stat went south.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #3

It's a domestic. It's the 3 button one that came with the camper. I'll check connections and I got a multimeter. So, hook red and white in battery box or converter?
Old 10-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Not sure with domestic, is different wires pull the state cover off and see what is hooked to rc/rh
And what is connected to the w. Terminal
I know they use a negative to your a/c but not sure on the heat, if you have a suburban connect rh/rc and touch the white terminal or take a picture of the subace and send it to me. The heating should be the same as any heater, but not sure what they are using for the heater color wire is what I mean
If the terminals are bmarked should just be RH TO WHITE OR Wednesda

Old 10-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Should be W. Damn phone

Old 10-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Check your voltage at the convertor make sure you are reading over 12 volts. It sounds like a short or voltage problem to me, before you try and jumper it out. Hope that helps a little, let us know what you find and maybe we can go from there
Good luck you can do it, but domestic is it's own creature

Old 10-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Sounds like you have the new digital thermostat. It uses three wires, +12V, -12V, and Comm. Make sure you have 12 volts between + and -. I suspect that the thermostat is bad, but it could be a loose connection.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #8

Would that be that slave stat they use if it's a duel system? Sure would like to see a picture of that subase just out of curiosity. Domestic or not it has to have control wires for the heater, fan and compressor. I don't know that much on them they do weird things, not like a Coleman or any other stat they use relays, but the main stat should have at least 4 wires or 5 if they are using a common. But like I said I hoped it wasn't a domestic. Hate auto. Correct, sorry.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #9

Still think it's a short or bad stat, and they are not cheap. If a duel system nothing you can do but buy there's if not I think in the library there is a wire diagram to change it to a Honeywell, very well could be mistaking.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Even the new single zone Dometic thermostats use three wires. They use relays in the control box to operate the different functions. The thermostat just communicates with the control box.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

I don't doubt it at all like I said I do not like the system, he could also have a relay going out if that is the case, they have to be peanut relays, not good. I wish the OP luck. Would you know the model #, they must have a wiring diagram on the Internet, should would like to see what they did.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #12

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I was in Franklin, NC in a campground (Mi mountain campground) they had no cell service for miles! Ugh. The two times I left the site was the times I wrote and checked the posts. Needless to say it was cold and we bundled up. Sunday morning we woke up to a "sewer" smell and it was our battery which had shorted out so maybe this was part of the problem which some of yall have said. Would've though being hooked up to shore power the thermostat would still run maybe? Gonna get a new battery this week and see what happens this week now that we're home. If that don't work I'm assuming just purchasing a new thermostat from wally and installing it would be the next step since the cheapo on the wall is apparently not good. Gonna try and put a picture of what I got so yall know what I'm dealing with. Thanks for working with me. I just was in a "off the grid" area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476156417070.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	122657  
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerman2brian View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back. I was in Franklin, NC in a campground (Mi mountain campground) they had no cell service for miles! Ugh. The two times I left the site was the times I wrote and checked the posts. Needless to say it was cold and we bundled up. Sunday morning we woke up to a "sewer" smell and it was our battery which had shorted out so maybe this was part of the problem which some of yall have said. Would've though being hooked up to shore power the thermostat would still run maybe? Gonna get a new battery this week and see what happens this week now that we're home. If that don't work I'm assuming just purchasing a new thermostat from wally and installing it would be the next step since the cheapo on the wall is apparently not good. Gonna try and put a picture of what I got so yall know what I'm dealing with. Thanks for working with me. I just was in a "off the grid" area.
The shorted battery could very well be the problem if it is still hook-ed to the converter, a new battery will let you know. I checked and found some old threads on your problem. as stated by Rambler it is a 3 wire system. Check the thread called"Dometic Thermosat replace with honeywell" type it in the search box at the top. If the Stat is bad from the shorted battery I seen a direct replacement for 35.00 the cheapest I have seen for Dometic. With out changing out relays it will be your best option IMO, but lets not get ahead of ourselves until you change that battery.,,,

Tags
thermostat