Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #1

...Thinking fuse, but want some experienced feedback.

I have a 2016 Wildwood 28DBUD. I was in there the other day, cleaning up after a month long trip, and found I have an electrical problem. It was hooked up to shore power and had been for the couple of weeks I'd been home. The AC and fridge were both on. I went in the bathroom first, to scrub down fixtures and when I turned the light on, it came on an immediately went out. I thought that odd because it has duel bulbs and I was surprised they both burned out at once. I tried the next fixture over the medicine cabinet and it didn't come on. I kept moving up the line. Bottom line. All the overhead fixtures in my slide work, and all the fixtures from the, centrally located, AC unit up to and including the master bedroom all work. All the fixtures from the AC unit back to and including the bathroom don't. Do I start with fuses? Has anyone else experienced this scenario?
SARDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Team

It's possibly fuses. Have you looked to see if there's more than one fuse for the lights?
Old 07-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Yes, fuse is likely. That is provided that your overhead lights (sailor talk for ceiling) are 12v.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Check your ground fault outlets especially the bathroom outlet. Make sure none are tripped. Sometimes a lot of other stuff is connected to these outlets.
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #5

...All good advice. I'll check it out in the morning and see what fuses I can find.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax07 View Post
Check your ground fault outlets especially the bathroom outlet. Make sure none are tripped. Sometimes a lot of other stuff is connected to these outlets.
I don't think so. All the lights are 12 volts. The Ground Fault is for 120 volt outlets.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #7

Check wiring

May want to check the wiring going to you lights, I had one with a bad crimp and it affected all the lights down stream from that one fixture. The GFCI is only for 110 vac circuit, your lights are 12 vdc.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic35767_3.gif
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

So, I finally had time to get into it. fuses were good, GFCI was tripped and wouldn't reset. Checked and do have hot wire going into GFCI. Used a plug tester and it indicated I have a hot open wire. Suggestions for tracking that down?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

I think your use of the word “fixtures” is causing extreme confusion. Also try substituting 120v for AC and use A/C for Air Conditioning. Communication is key.

Edit: BTW, if you are now talking about a 120v system, there are no fuses, only circuit breakers.

Edit2: Thats Open Hot and it means that your outlet has no power input. So the new suggestion is to reset the circuit breakers even if they look like they are on. A GFCI will not reset with no power.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Go to your breaker and fuse panels. Check each breaker by first turning each off then back on and make sure they feel right and click right when you turn them back on. Pull each fuse and look to see if any are burnt out. If so replace them with an new one. Now go and check all the GFCI outlets by pushing the trip button then reset each one.

Do you still have a problem. Use the plug tester again now what does it say?

If you still have an "Open Hot" then you will have to check your wiring. A tough job depending on your trailer. Do you have a mousse or rat problem? One may have chewed a wire into.

Good luck!!!!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #11

Found a good Youtube video :
Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

They are unrelated issues as most have suggested. I changed the GFCI test outlet and the outlets that are GFCI are working. I found it interesting that not all outlets are GFCI. My Fridge and the other outlets (the one under the medicine cabinet, above the sink, and the 2 in the kitchen have the GFCI sticker) are on a separate circuit from the GFCI controlled outlet. I'll look for a loose wire with the lights next. There are 3 fuses marked "Lite" on the electric panel. I'm going to pull fixtures first, on the group of lights that are not working to look for a loose wire. Has anyone used a tone generator to trace a wire break like this?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #13

GFCI rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDogDad View Post
I found it interesting that not all outlets are GFCI. My Fridge and the other outlets (the one under the medicine cabinet, above the sink, and the 2 in the kitchen have the GFCI sticker) are on a separate circuit from the GFCI controlled outlet.
Outlets must have GFCI protection if they are outdoors or within 6 (?) feet of a plumbing fixture. The others don't have to have GFCI protection.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse