Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Tips Needed: Running multiple 5v 'USB' chargers

So - we spent our first real weekend in our new TT, with my wife's folks, and had a great time.

However, as I expected, the number of i-Devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) we had caused lots of swapping of cables, chargers, etc.

I am thinking of running 8-10 ports in and out of the camper. I'd prefer to have a single 12v-to-5v converter of some sort near the electrical panel and run 5v from there. Having several converters at various locations would waste electricity through the process and I've seen some cheap ones cause problems with radio reception in our vehicles.

I have some extra circuits on my 12v panel I could use, and would like each location to have a 1a and a 2a jack.

Any thoughts or tips on good products or approaches?
alfista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

My suggestion would be to get a few USB batteries such as:
Poweradd Pilot 2GS 10000mAh Portable Charger

The batteries can be charged overnight or at other downtimes, allowing folks to charge either from the USB batteries, or directly from the trailer depending on how long the line to charge devices is at any given time.

If you are concerned about wasting power, then maybe add one of these to the charging arsenal:
Poweradd 14W Dual Port Solar Charger Portable Foldable Solar Panel Charger

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Why not swap your regular outlets out with something like this.

Top Greener 4A High Speed USB Charger Receptacle 15A Tamper Proof Safety Outlet & 2 Free Wall Plates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAZIU5Y..._0Zjzvb1EWHBJQ
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Great tips, rsscully and DanM-AZ.

I have a couple of portable batteries for traveling and they work great, but I find that they are 'just another thing that needs a cable and charging attention'. They will probably play a role, but they do add clutter when people bring them, and a cable, to the picnic table.

The outlets are a good option. I have two of them in my house. However, two of the four locations I'd want to put two jacks are GFCI outlets so those will get expensive, and the outlets would still be drawing power even when unused (I believe, unless they have a switch to detect a USB cable being inserted, which I doubt).

I'm currently thinking of getting a 10a converter such as this:

Car Power Supply DC-DC 12V 24V 12/24V Step Down to 5V 10A 50w Converter A023

And putting it on one master switch on the control panel with eight outlets strung around. I need to confirm this will work, and find nice outlets that do not have the converter built in, however.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
If I've understood you correctly, this sounds like what you may be looking for.
Amazon.com: EasyAcc Aluminum SuperSpeed USB 3.0 8 Port Charging Station Hub with 4 Quick Charging and 4 Standard USB 3.0 Ports (Y44BUS): Computers & Accessories
According to what I read, it runs on 12v DC via it's supplied 110v AC adapter. You could simply run it on your trailers 12v with a hardwired DC plug. If the charger does not come with a hardwired DC plug, you could easily build one or have it built at any electronics repair shop. You can also buy them from places like DigiKey, MCM etc., but they are next to impossible to come by locally.

This USB Charging Dock looks even nicer, but requires an AC input.
https://sewelldirect.com/-Sewell-10-...-96W_specs.asp
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsscully View Post
Why not swap your regular outlets out with something like this.

Top Greener 4A High Speed USB Charger Receptacle 15A Tamper Proof Safety Outlet & 2 Free Wall Plates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAZIU5Y..._0Zjzvb1EWHBJQ
X2
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Anker 40W 5-Port USB Desktop Charger with PowerIQ Technology + 5 Micro USB to USB Cables (3X 1ft + 1X 3ft + 1X 6ft) for Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge, HTC M9, Nexus ...
Anker 4.5 out of 5 stars(10,171)Reviews

This is what I used
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
jkoenig24

I'll give a strong second to the Anker 5 port USBDesktop charger. With a small 12VDC inverter, the Anker can be plugged into a standard 12VDC car power port or a 110VAC outlet.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #9

Again, thanks for all the tips. On closer inspection of the outlets, they are not GFCI outlets, but protected by GFCI, so I could replace them. The Leviton ones claim to have 'low vampire' draw.

Interestingly, here is a good article on the need change from 120v to low voltage based on Tesla's introduction of the Powerwall, like many campers are familiar with. Some say that Elon Musk has set a path for curbing global warming. Lots to do, however.

How Tesla Batteries Will Force Home Wiring To Go Low Voltage - Slashdot
Old 06-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
In case someone is following this thread, the product from GreenImp has four USB ports and four USB Charge Only ports. The normal ports do not work unless it is connected to a PC's USB port.

I ended up buying this: which has 8 ports and runs off 12v. I hope we never draw all 15.6amps (I'm sure it will blow a fuse) but it looks like it should work.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

How did you verify that the output of the AC transformer/input to the USB gang box is 12V? I saw nothing in the description that told me that.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Power Wagon 6.4L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM-AZ View Post
How did you verify that the output of the AC transformer/input to the USB gang box is 12V? I saw nothing in the description that told me that.
Just a hunch, and I figured I'd use it in the house otherwise. It is 12V / 6500mA Output. Looks pretty good - smaller than I expected.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #13

Question Tie directly to 12V ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfista View Post
I ended up buying this: which has 8 ports and runs off 12v.
Hi alfista, Can you confirm that the Aukey can be tied directly to 12v and not use the included power supply?
Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #14

The power adapter has a four pin connector, but only two wires run from the transformer. I cut it and wired it to the 12v panel and it is working. iPhones work mostly OK - they complain once fully charged. It does not seem to be as fast as an iPad charger but I haven't compared directly. Also, haven't tried charging a full-size iPad.