Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 PM   #1

Tongue jack blowing fuses

Never had this happen before. Tongue jack keeps popping the inline 30 amp fuse. I showed up at camp. Popped while driving there. Put new one in worked fine. While driving home popped another one. Put new one in, worked fine.

Anyone know what causing this??
boudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Team

I had the same problem with my original electric tongue jack. Arrived home after taking delivery and the jack was dead. I went through 8 fuses without evening camping once. The dealer replace it with a better one and I haven't had to replace the fuse even once and it been 4 years.

In my case the service department was informed that particular jack should had been installed with an relay not 30 amp fuse. I also believe they originally gave me the cheapest jack possible. The service tech went through 4 fuses while trying to disconnect. By that time I had a big supply of spare fuses on hand.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

If it's doing it while going down the road you most likely have something loose inside causing it to short out. Check all of your connections first, then look into the jack if you can.

I have had a jack on my last trailer that would blow fuses when it was on 12v power only, the dealer ended up replacing it under warranty.

I have replaced the fuse with a 30 AMP circuit breaker from an auto parts store incase this ever happens again. P.S. you can makeup a jumper wire with a few inches of wire and a couple of spade connections as a get by be careful not to burn up the jack though.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse