Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post
Yeah, propane is dangerous while travelling.

I know a few people who have gone the inverter route. It is not a bad solution but you still have to buy a charger.

Wire size is very important. But even using #10 as one friend has done did not solve the voltage drop. There is still a drop within the tow vehicle. There is just no way to get enough voltage to the tt battery using wire alone.
You can use vehicle alternator to charge your van's house battery and to run a 3 way fridge (using 10- 12 amp) running on 12V whilst driving without a DC-DC device.
What is required is minimum 16mm sq copper wiring. I actually used 25mm sq copper wire in positive and negative runs from my auxillery battery under the hood to an Anderson plug (150 AMP) mounted on the rear of the tow vehicle. From there an Anderson plug with two cable circuits. One circuit of 25mm sq cable direct to the house battery in the popup. The second circuit in 16mm sq copper wiring to the 12V fridge supply. The fridge supply utalises a motion fridge switch which stops power supply to fridge when the tow vehicle and popup are parked. This prevents flattening my Auxillery battery when I am parked as the draw of the fridge on 12 V is huge and will flatten your battery in an hour or so. My cable run is protected by 100 Amp fuses inline and close to each of the batteries for safety. Two circuits are required for these two separate tasks from tow vehicle Anderson plug rather than trying to charge battery and run fridge on the one circuit. That would mean placing two loads on one circuit and resulting in less amps available for both the tasks if on the one circuit.
This set up worked well for my 6000 kilometre trip last August. During the holiday I arrived at my destinations each leg of the trip with full vehicle batteries (x2) and full house battery in the PopUP. I also had cold fridge contents during the travel time as well. This was all run from a stock alternator in my 98 Nissan Terrano 2 2.7 litre turbo diesel.
The wiring size prevented the voltage drop over the distance the cable ran. Circuit protected by fuses. No propane whilst travelling required. No expensive outlay for DC-DC device that is only effective using such a device if you drive for very long hours from the information I have read on the DC to DC devices. The cable cost was significant but worthwhile in my opinion as I was able to do the setup install myself.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Maybe I should have looked at Thread date. LOL. I am a bit late.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody59 View Post
Maybe I should have looked at Thread date. LOL. I am a bit late.
A tad lol !
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #14

The information in my post still stands as a tried and tested system for charging/refridgerator power supply whilst driving.

Tags
battery