Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer GFCI trips when breaker is thrown

So, this just went working to not working. The house GFCI trips when i plug in the trailer. I narrowed it down to everything working, but the trailer GFCI. As long as I leave the GFCI breaker in the trailer off, then everything else works....... fridge, AC, etc. So now I have no working outlets. Not sure how it was working and then it just stopped. Bad breaker? The GFCI outlet in the bathroom went bad? We're going on a camping trip this weekend. I can do without the wall plugs for the weekend, but i'd like it fixed. I'm sure it's something simple.
Sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Normally having two GFI in a line will trip one of them most of the time. Do you have a non-Gfi some place at home you can plug into?
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #3

Do you have the main breaker off in the RV when you plug into your home power? I've had this happen and was able to eliminate the issue by turning off RV main breaker then plugging into house followed by turning on RV main breaker. You shouldn't plug your RV in hot, by hot I mean leaving the main breaker on. Always turn on main breaker last and turn off first when disconnecting from shore power.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Trailer GFCI trips when breaker is thrown

I figured it out by process of elimination. Was a bad breaker. Quick trip to Home Depot got it done! Thanks everybody!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

You definitely only need one GFCI in a circuit. That's why you find the outlets around the sink, in the bath and outside all connected on the same circuit with a GFCI in the bath.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Do not plug your RV into a GFI outlet. Two GFI's in line are not compatible.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:21 AM   #7

The trailer has been plugged into an exterior GFCI plug for years. Keeps the battery charged, ability to use lights, fire up fridge before trips, and radio without killing the battery. Never been a problem. The breaker went bad.... rare, but it happens. It just happened to be the trailer outlet breaker.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #8

I just had to replace a faulty GFI wall plug that would pop out when it got good and ready. Bad outlet. I had checked every possible wire in the circuit and the pedestal grounds time and time again hunting for a problem and it was a faulty wall plug all along. Tractors supply had one on the shelf. They ARE expensive [$24] but I now carry an extra just incase I run into another camper with the same problem. My "Extras Box" is getting larger everyday.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, trailer