Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma31BHSS View Post
I use a Battery Tendr, same type that I use to keep my motorcycle and golf cart batteries charged over the winter. BTW my motorcycle battery is going on 10 years old and I think this year I'm going to change it because I know it's gone above and beyond its rated life.
Yes, good idea after 10 years. But a premium battery held at or near float charge can last MORE than 10 years. But, most everyone leaves a car door, glove box or trunk lite on over night periodically. Each taking a small toll over the years. We usually replace our race car batteries (some Wet Pb/H2SO4 and some AGM after each season (mostly due to the vibrations and temps often involved, and some are in sprint race "zero loss" application (no on board charger). I take the old batteries and use them in other apps where they are at a float charge 99% of the time. I sometimes get another 10 years out of them...
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowPro View Post
Also, never set a battery on concrete, it will still discharge with the maintainer. keep it on a block of wood or a shelf.
I haven't heard that one in years...........but it is based on fact. This is not the case with modern batteries.

ASK THE EXPERTS: Batteries on Concrete | Home Power Magazine
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowPro View Post
Also, never set a battery on concrete, it will still discharge with the maintainer. keep it on a block of wood or a shelf.
http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/FAQ.aspx

"Storing a battery on concrete will discharge it quicker- Long ago, when battery cases were made out of natural rubber, this was true. Now, however, battery cases are made of polypropylene or other modern materials that allow a battery to be stored anywhere. A battery's rate of discharge is affected by its construction, its age, and the ambient temperature. The main issue with storing on concrete is that if the battery leaks, the concrete will be damaged."
Old 09-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #24

What about if you leave trailer connected to shore power all winter converter will keep it charged will battery damage ??
Pierre Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM   #25

X6 or 7 or what ever were up to on the Battery Tender i have had several RV and multi motorcycles thru out the years and still do and i have gone thru several of the cheaper battery chargers / maintainers and i now have 4 of the battery tenders and have had them for several years now with no problems
they come with multi connections you can hook one to the battery so it's just plug and play down the rode

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Allard View Post
What about if you leave trailer connected to shore power all winter converter will keep it charged will battery damage ??
NO, I leave mine plugged in 24/7 also have a progressive 4 stage converter. Even through I know I'm in float at 13.1 I still check the water atleast every other month. If you have a WFCO you need to check it more often. I would say monthly. But yes you can, you can even leave them in place and use a battery tender, just disconnect the switch if you have one. Same as taking them out without busting your back. I have 2 12v batteries and just shut the power off to the trailer for two days and my digital read out is showing 12.8 and that's going on 4 years with never taking them out so I'm way past the surface charge after 48 hrs., I turned it back on, nothing else to do in the rain the last couple of days, but it seems I have to do something addicting that trailer.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
NO, I leave mine plugged in 24/7 also have a progressive 4 stage converter. Even through I know I'm in float at 13.1 I still check the water atleast every other month. If you have a WFCO you need to check it more often. I would say monthly. But yes you can, you can even leave them in place and use a battery tender, just disconnect the switch if you have one. Same as taking them out without busting your back. I have 2 12v batteries and just shut the power off to the trailer for two days and my digital read out is showing 12.8 and that's going on 4 years with never taking them out so I'm way past the surface charge after 48 hrs., I turned it back on, nothing else to do in the rain the last couple of days, but it seems I have to do something addicting that trailer.
Thanks very useful
Pierre Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #28
Site Team

A simple battery disconnect switch is much easier.
Stored my HTT for 4 months and the batteries had hardly lost any charge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #29

Generally, a battery tender will be smarter than the WFCO converter charger built into your rig. You are not talking about a lot of current required to maintain a charged battery so a small tender will be just fine for your battery bank. I would not worry about it boiling the battery. I think I would worry about the WFCO though.

One of the things about my solar system is I don't have to worry about any of this. My rig is parked at the RV storage and I could probably maintain all the batteries in the place with my system. I did a normal battery top-off after last winter and I don't think I added more than 20 oz of water of water combined to both batteries.
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #30
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I use battery tenders (brand name) year round. They are intelligent chargers so you won't overcharge and burn off electrolyte solution.
I also use this system. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
I use battery tenders (brand name) year round. They are intelligent chargers so you won't overcharge and burn off electrolyte solution.

Me too. On two Harleys, one Miata and three tractors. Rarely buy batteries.

2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #32

At my store (Race prep shop) we were retailers for BATTERY TENDER (tm). We sold hundreds and used dozens. Never a problem over 10+ years.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:20 AM   #33

The Black & Decker Bm3B 12 V trickle charger did the job over the winter. plugged it in and did nothing else all winter. Hooked the battery to the pup and it was fully charged and working fine. I will plug this in between all my trips now. Very inexpensive too. Amazon carries this, well worth the purchase.

Dutchmen
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, winter