Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #1

Tripped breaker

For starters... I am very new to RV living (I have yet to complete one night in an RV.. But that is another 15 minute story..)

Purchased a used 2005 Salem 28BGSS TT (great deal!) and moved it to the park where it will stay. Before moving everything worked fine. After moving I noticed none of the lights would turn on (or were very dim). After checking the converter box I noticed a breaker was tripped. 15 amp breaker controlling "conv/WH" was the one tripped. AC was off and nothing was plugged in. Long story boring the breaker continued to trip about 45 seconds after resetting it. I switched the WH to LP and it continued to trip.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Will more than likely have to pay for someone to come out but was hoping for a general idea so that I don't get completely taken advantage of if said repair person wants to replace my "sky hook" or "board stretcher"!!

Thanks for the help. This forum has been so much help!
bts001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #2

If the element in heater went bad it maybe tripping the breaker.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When you switched the water heater to LP, did you go outside, open the water heater door, and turn the electric off? Little rocker switch, bottom left corner. If not, the electric could still be the problem The switch inside for the water heater, only controls the propane part of the heater.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider
When you switched the water heater to LP, did you go outside, open the water heater door, and turn the electric off?
I did not. I'll look for the switch tomorrow. Hoping it is only a burned element and I think it very well could be. New RV park and water wasn't running so element could have been dry. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts001 View Post
I did not. I'll look for the switch tomorrow. Hoping it is only a burned element and I think it very well could be. New RV park and water wasn't running so element could have been dry. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
That is probably it. Let us know.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Thanks guys -- y'all were correct. I was so glad it was just the element and nothing more serious. Luckily a guy who works at the dealer/service place also works on the side (very busy down here in South Texas with the oil and gas business and hundreds of campers -- so the service place is more than happy to let him work on the side) and with one quick visit he had things back to normal.

The outside on an off switch is very hard to find especially in low light.

Can't wait to move in and figure everything out! Thanks again for the help. I was able to determine that was the problem and he was about to fix it up!

Tags
breaker