Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Tripping Breakers Question

We've made two trips in our new Wildwood 27RKSS. In each campground, it seems we either trip one leg of the breaker at the pole or, trip one leg of the breaker inside the trailer. Sometimes, only the A/C is running.

The first campground, the breaker at the service pole kept tripping every 30 seconds or so on the 30 amp service. Used a 50 to 30 adapter and only tripped one side of the breaker, once. On this trip, outside temp was 97/99.

The second trip which, ended yesterday, the breaker at the service would trip if, the A/C is running and we tried to use the microwave or, the A/C and a floor fan.

The question: If the trailer is rated at 30 amps, shouldn't be able to run more than just, the A/C at one time?

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
2016 F-250 4x4
JRnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #2

Tripping Breakers Question

Did you have the water heater on electric? That plus the AC would max out your 30amps. I'm a little confused when you say one leg. 30amp only has one leg.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Many times, you'll pop the breaker if AC and microwave are used at same time. And X2 on the WH. If on electric, you'll be over the 30 amps. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnTX View Post
We've made two trips in our new Wildwood 27RKSS. In each campground, it seems we either trip one leg of the breaker at the pole or, trip one leg of the breaker inside the trailer. Sometimes, only the A/C is running.

The first campground, the breaker at the service pole kept tripping every 30 seconds or so on the 30 amp service. Used a 50 to 30 adapter and only tripped one side of the breaker, once. On this trip, outside temp was 97/99.

The second trip which, ended yesterday, the breaker at the service would trip if, the A/C is running and we tried to use the microwave or, the A/C and a floor fan.

The question: If the trailer is rated at 30 amps, shouldn't be able to run more than just, the A/C at one time?

2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
2016 F-250 4x4
It does sound like you are possibly just simply overloading the circuits, as RV'ers with 30 amp campers do have to learn what can be on (and what must be off) at the same time to not trip the circuit breakers. Each 30 amp RV is a little different in this aspect, and some can use more than others without tripping the breakers, even though they are supposed to be the same.

Your A/C is your biggest energy user, followed by water heater electric element and microwave. In the winter time, space heaters will consume up many amps.

It's basically kind of additive math, and circuit breakers are really designed to run continuously at 80% rated load. A 30 amp circuit is really designed to carry around 24-25 amps for long periods of time but can carry more in shorter periods.

Now for the math. Watts = voltage X amps (ex 1440 watts = 120 volts X 12 amps)

I used that example because if your water heaters 1440 watt element is on, then it is consuming 12 amps in itself.

Say your A/C is using 13-16 amps. then there is 25-28 amps just with those two. That is before you add amps your converter needs to run the 12 volt stuff, your fridge if on 120 volt AC, and ANYTHING plugged into an outlet. Haven't even added the 1000 watt microwave in either.

I always suggest the following two articles by Mark Polk as good reading which explains amp draws and converter function:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

I also recommend the Suburban water heater tutorial, which explains amp draws too.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

As I stated each RV is a little different, and each pedestals breakers are a little different depending on how weak they may be from others doing like you and tripping the breakers. In the summer I cannot run the A/C and microwave in my RV at the same time (even if the water heater is turned off of electric)...but many other members here can.

Hope this helps, and it's this simple and you don't have an electrical problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Thanks everyone!

The one leg I was referring to, was tripping only one of the 20 amp breaker on the pedestal.

The WH was on 120 volt. The WH never entered my thought process when this was happening.... I can now see how we were overloading it a bit....

Would it hurt anything by using the 50 to 30 adapter, other than the possibility of tripping a breaker or blowing a fuse in the inside panel? Used one adapter and only tripped the inside breaker, once.

JR
Old 08-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #6

If you were tripping the 20 amp breaker on the pedestal you were not plugged into the 30 amp circuit. using an adapter for 50 to 30 does not hurt anything. If you tripping breakers you are overloading the circuit regardless of what you are plugged into.

Are you sure you are plugging into the 30 amp outlet? It is the one that accepts your RV shore power cord without any adapter. Just asking let us know what you fine that works.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

On each pedestal that I have seen for 30 amp service, there are two breakers with, "30" on them. When the breaker trips, only one of the two breakers have trippped.

I am using the factory supplied electrical cord with the 30 amp connector on it. I plug directly into the pedestal.

Hope that helps with the info?

JR
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

OK I was basing my response on your #5 post. That may be the way that your campground is set up I have not seen that, with that said if you are using the 30 amp plug only one of those breakers is feeding your rig. So you are overloading the circuit capacity.

I highly recommend reading the links WMTire included, they are very informative.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnTX View Post
On each pedestal that I have seen for 30 amp service, there are two breakers with, "30" on them. When the breaker trips, only one of the two breakers have trippped.

I am using the factory supplied electrical cord with the 30 amp connector on it. I plug directly into the pedestal.

Hope that helps with the info?

JR
Hmmm, although some campgrounds do indeed have double 30 amp outlets on a pedestal, the standard you most likely run across is like in the pic below.

You have a double pole 50 amp breaker that controls the 50 amp outlet

You have a single pole 30 amp breaker that controls the 30 amp outlet

You have either a 15 or 20 amp breaker controlling a 15 or 20 amp outlet (these are the ones like you see in your home)

If the pedestal has a four prong outlet, then most likely it's 50 amp, and at first glance the circuit breaker may look like it says 30, but should be 50.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker