Old 04-23-2016, 03:23 AM   #1

Tripping GFCI

I just buggy a used 2015 Wildwood and brought it home. When I got home I plugged it in it tripped the GFCI on the outlet I plugged the trailer into. When I bought the trailer it plugged in with no problem. I turned off all the breakers in the trailer then rest the GCFI and tried to plug the trailer in again... it instantly tripped the house GCFI again with all the trailer breakers off? The 12 volt system is working fine. Is there something I am missing?

Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 AM   #2

dont plug it into a gfi your already have one in your rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I just buggy a used 2015 Wildwood and brought it home. When I got home I plugged it in it tripped the GFCI on the outlet I plugged the trailer into. When I bought the trailer it plugged in with no problem. I turned off all the breakers in the trailer then rest the GCFI and tried to plug the trailer in again... it instantly tripped the house GCFI again with all the trailer breakers off? The 12 volt system is working fine. Is there something I am missing?

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #3

Am I reading your post correctly - did you say that the house GFI tripped with all of the breakers in your trailer turned off? Did you have the main breaker in the trailer turned off or just the distribution breakers? Have you used this GFI before? Any electrical work done lately on your house? Or trailer (I know you just bought it used but any obvious signs of electrical repairs?
Old 04-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

you would never put a gfi on a gfi recpt. also I would never put a refrigerator or heater, smoke detector or anything important to keep active on a gfi, for me they are only good around kids in bathrooms and kitchens, other than that to me they are useless
Old 04-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

There was just a thread on this exact issue. Do not plug your RV into a GFCI protected outlet....it will trip it more times than not.

Could get into a long explanation as to why but go search the forums if you want to read particulars. I made a post under that thread but deleted it when I realized a few others answered it so...no need for three of the same answers.

It takes 5ma (.005 amps) of a current difference between the hot and the neutral line...or thereabouts. This is minute. You can get this leakage as it were in certain appliances like flourescent lights...some AC motors as well as small variances due to the complex nature of the wiring and loads in your RV. Even your house is not on an entire GFCI...wonder why. Certain loads will trip it by nature...otherwise they would just GFCI the entire house rather than the kitchen and bath.

Plug it into a non GFI circuit is the plain and simple answer
Old 04-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #6

Thank you, it was the outlet. All is working well now.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #7

my question is why do TT trip GCFI ? they are thee to protec us so someone explaian to me TS Bill
Old 11-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

you would not plug you home into a gfi, since your trailer has it's own, think if it as a sub-panel for you garage, you put it on a regular non-gfi, and then add gfi to protect what ever circuit you need protected, gfo do not do well with inductive loads, ie, stove tops, heaters,
Old 11-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Site Team

The reason that you should not put a GFCI in series with another GFCI is because of the way they are implemented by various manufacturers. Essentially GFCI measures the difference between the current being delivered on the hot side of an outlet and the current returned on the neutral side of the device. If over a preset amount , it trips the circuit protection and shuts down the circuit. In some cases the a second GFCI in a circuit causes the first one to think that all of the current delivered is not returning and it trips. Below is a graphic showing the operation form yourcolorodoelectrician page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GFCI.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	125928  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote