Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #11

I would also suggest changing all your lighting to LED to extend your battery. A single stock bulb is taking 1 to 1.2 amps as compared to .1 for an LED.

The dual light fixtures are 2amps plus.

If you have a 100AH battery, don't go below 50% as a rule, which means only 50AH of capacity.

As suggested, getting an idea of daily usage is key. Also, it's better to combine the batteries if you're installing a 2nd batt, versus running on one, then changing to the 2nd one when needed.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #12

Onthelake,
No argument there. I had decided to do that a while ago. I just wanted to get the major stuff out of the way first. I'm not sure what configuration I'll use but LEDs for sure. My next focus is power hook up protection. I've read about the major malfunctions that can happen. I'd rather not let the smoke out of any of my nice new electrical or electronic systems.
Bob

TV: Chrysler T&C
TT: Coachmen Clipper 17FQ
MV: West Wight Potter 15
CrifasiRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

True 12v deep cycle recommendations ?

On the charging topic, try to stay under 10 Amps per battery as a rule.

The best tool for monitoring the battery usage & charge is a product like Xantrex LinkLite battery monitor. You can set the alarms you want and it will keep track of your daily usage. It requires installing a shunt on the neg close to the battery bank.

I've installed these devices in the TT & boat.

I don't take a genny any where, so this is the best mod that has enhanced our off the grid days.

If you install a good quality inverter/charger, you'll get the protection you need.

Current location: Buffalo River State Park in MN
Old 07-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

I'm probably going to rely mostly on my solar system for re charging. The controller on that system should handle that well. I have a small 1000 watt generator just in case. The linkLite is something I should consider if I use it for recharging the batteries. Does it have a low voltage cutoff for battery discharge?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #15

The link lite is fine but pricey. Check out also the Victron and the Trimetric monitors which have all the same functions for about 50 bucks less. If you boondock...one of these 3 is a must!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #16

Another one you could look at which has the nicest & largest display is the BM-1 http://www.nasamarine.com/proddetail...=BMN-1_Battery

I didn't go with this product at the time due to the smaller shunt of 100A, which was too small for our loads on the boat. Running an inverter for coffee maker uses almost 90A.

It depends on what you plan on taking. For camping I don't see anything that would require large loads more than 100A since I can fire the LP stove and perk a pot.

You'll find your day much nicer not having to tote a genny around & the fuel.

Current location: Traveling
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #17

All three look very nice. However they all seem like overkill for my needs. I was thinking of the batteries, a Blue Sea 9001E e-Series Battery Switch Selector 4 Position, a Blue Sea Systems m-LVD Low Voltage Disconnect, then the load. Sound ok?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
Denver, CO

For the minimalist in all of us, a Fluke loop meter can double as a good multimeter and give you all the information that you need. A 120 watt panel should keep your battery(s) topped up with no problem if you know your general usage. If youseparate your battery into two banks then remember Peukarts rule which means you will not get as much total amperage out of each separately.

Just saying
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #19

The trailer is a Clipper 17 FQ. It is set up to operate on one battery and one LP tank. I am doubling up on both so I have built in backup reserve. The switch allowing me to operate with both in parallel is just an added option. I will probably be operating on one battery most of the time. I will probably have one or both charging from the solar panels during the day with the generator as a worst case backup for power and recharging.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #20

CrifasRF...how will you know when your batteries reach 50% and need to be recharged. How will you know when they are 100% recharged. How will you know if you can make it through the night or day at your present amp usage? How many net amphours did the sun give you today? How much will new batteries cost you vs. a monitor?
Most batteries are murdered...they don't die natural deaths unless you have the tool to maintain them properly. This isn't important so much if you plug in all the time. It is quite important if you boondock. Potter owners understand utility!! This is NOT an option unless you like throwing away batteries WAY prematurely.

Oh...and a Fluke will NOT give you ANY of the information I asked at the top of the post since it cannot measure those parameters. He is right about Mr. Peukert though...and they won't take a charge as fast either.