Simple questions get simple answers. YES

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #232

This is a great group of folks

Old 03-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Too Tall by the time this tread finally wears it's self out you will have had the most researched, analyzed, detailed, taked about, 12 volt to 6 Volt system on a TT know to MAN. You can put a sign on the tung "Approved by Forest River Forum" I will stick with 12V but know where to go if I decide to change.
Agree Seadog, I'm going to try that sign and see if I can get a discount on my next FR. I should.

Although it is true I didn't start this thread, I hijacked the h_ll out of it with my stupid questions. I apologize to the OP. I even flamed myself,

Every time somebody recommended something, I ran out and bought it. I was doing fine in my ignorance of battery technology with my little 85 amp/hr battery that was half shot from discharging the h_ll out of it.
This one thread by itself probably cost me over $300 and still going, plus my extremely valuable labor. I got so carried away I even made a friggen movie about it, https://youtu.be/foLGtyt9Rsg
I want to thank all of you for your knowledge sharing and patient in answering the same questions over and over, You are much appreciated. Amazingly interesting and well versed folks.

Now, I've started to wander over to the tire thread so God only knows what that will cost me.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Now, I've started to wander over to the tire thread so God only knows what that will cost me.
Don't do it! You will be sorry.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #235

Too Tall
Don't obsess. Do just enough to go camping and have fun. You installed a couple of batteries and have a way to charge them. Does it really matter if the batteries die in 6 years instead of 7?

Same with tires. Air them to sidewall max pressure. Replace them in 5 years and go camping in the meantime.

Fred W
Old 03-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Too Tall
Don't obsess. Do just enough to go camping and have fun. You installed a couple of batteries and have a way to charge them. Does it really matter if the batteries die in 6 years instead of 7?

Same with tires. Air them to sidewall max pressure. Replace them in 5 years and go camping in the meantime.

Fred W
Kiss method, I like that. I realize however from talking to you all that I was very lacking in knowledge of all this stuff. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:06 PM   #237

Great thread...lots of great info.

Yesterday I went out and bought 4 Interstate 6 volt batteries for our Salem 27RKSS. I'll be connecting them with #4 gauge cables. I'll be hooking up my 180 watts of solar panels to them. I have also bought 6 LED bulb to replace some of the regular bulbs in various high use areas in the trailer.

I also run a TV and satellite receiver off a separate 400W inverter mounted next to electrical panel inside the trailer.This all worked fine last year with my 2 12 volt batteries last year except the batteries were getting very weak at end of season last year.

I am hoping this set up will be sufficient for my use.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 PM   #238

Burgeogull...Sounds like a plan!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeogull View Post
Great thread...lots of great info.

Yesterday I went out and bought 4 Interstate 6 volt batteries for our Salem 27RKSS. I'll be connecting them with #4 gauge cables. I'll be hooking up my 180 watts of solar panels to them. I have also bought 6 LED bulb to replace some of the regular bulbs in various high use areas in the trailer.

I also run a TV and satellite receiver of a separate 400W inverter mounted next to electrical panel inside the trailer.This all worked fine last year with my 2 12 volt batteries last year except the batteries were getting very weak at end of season last year.

I am hoping this set up will be sufficient for my use.
Are they Golf Cart batteries? What is the Amp/Hour rating? If they are indeed Golf Cart batteries and each one has over 100 a/h you'll do very well indeed. Most trailers have a WFCO (Chinese) converter and power center. If this is the case it takes a very long time to charge them. I changed my WFCO and installed a Progressive Dynamics equivalent which works very well.

I also suggest that you bring with you a good battery charger. The rule of thumb is that you should charge your batteries at 10% of your a/h rating. If you have 250 amp hours you should charge them at 25 amps. I used 30 amps as I don't have a 25 amp setting. I'd start my generator, plug in the charger and after about 2-3 hours my batteries would be back to 99%. Now that I have the Progressive Dynamics I no longer have to hook up the charger, just start up the generator and let her run a few hours and I'm all charged up.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
Are they Golf Cart batteries? What is the Amp/Hour rating? If they are indeed Golf Cart batteries and each one has over 100 a/h you'll do very well indeed. Most trailers have a WFCO (Chinese) converter and power center. If this is the case it takes a very long time to charge them. I changed my WFCO and installed a Progressive Dynamics equivalent which works very well.

I also suggest that you bring with you a good battery charger. The rule of thumb is that you should charge your batteries at 10% of your a/h rating. If you have 250 amp hours you should charge them at 25 amps. I used 30 amps as I don't have a 25 amp setting. I'd start my generator, plug in the charger and after about 2-3 hours my batteries would be back to 99%. Now that I have the Progressive Dynamics I no longer have to hook up the charger, just start up the generator and let her run a few hours and I'm all charged up.
They are golf cart batteries. 235 amp/hr or however that goes. I know nothing about the converter and power center. The dealer told that they should be already charged. I won't be hooking them up until near the end of the month or maybe even May...I'm in Canada and it's too cold and too much snow where I am to even think about camping yet...well...I guess I am thinking about it if I'm already getting ready!! Can't wait!

Tags
battery