Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #241
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeogull View Post
They are golf cart batteries. 235 amp/hr or however that goes. I know nothing about the converter and power center. The dealer told that they should be already charged. I won't be hooking them up until near the end of the month or maybe even May...I'm in Canada and it's too cold and too much snow where I am to even think about camping yet...well...I guess I am thinking about it if I'm already getting ready!! Can't wait!
That's GREAT! If each battery is 235 a/h you'll have 470 a/h to power your system with 4 6v batteries. You can usually tell what brand of converter you have by opening up the power center door (inside the trailer where all the fuses and breakers are). There is usually a sticker that tells the make and model of the converter.

It's been absolutely perfect down here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. We've lived here for 45 years and would never go back to cold weather. I'd never survive!
__________________

__________________
OldBob

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #242
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
That's GREAT! If each battery is 235 a/h you'll have 470 a/h to power your system with 4 6v batteries. You can usually tell what brand of converter you have by opening up the power center door (inside the trailer where all the fuses and breakers are). There is usually a sticker that tells the make and model of the converter.

It's been absolutely perfect down here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. We've lived here for 45 years and would never go back to cold weather. I'd never survive!
I'll check out the converter once I get started!
__________________

__________________
2014 Salem 27RKSS
Burgeogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #243
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 64
I got a question now, not that I'll do this but I might... Can I run a small chest freezer on my system...say a 3.5 cu ft on 4 6 volt batteries, 180 watts of solar panel?
__________________
2014 Salem 27RKSS
Burgeogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #244
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeogull View Post
I got a question now, not that I'll do this but I might... Can I run a small chest freezer on my system...say a 3.5 cu ft on 4 6 volt batteries, 180 watts of solar panel?
For how long?
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:47 PM   #245
Senior Member
 
Too Tall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 813
Need to know how many amps it draws.
__________________
Rockwood 2104S, 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel.
USMC 68 -70
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #246
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
IGLOO 3.5 cu. ft. Chest Freezer in White-FRF434 - The Home Depot

This one is 212 Kw a year or 580 Watts a day.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #247
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
For how long?
For 3-4 months of summer. The one I looked at is about the same as the one you attached the link too.
__________________
2014 Salem 27RKSS
Burgeogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #248
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgeogull View Post
For 3-4 months of summer. The one I looked at is about the same as the one you attached the link too.
And you just want to use the 4 batteries and the 180 Watt panel, without a generator to recharge the batteries?

1) Solar panels are not 100% efficient and are rated in "full sun" at 90 degrees of sun ray incidence. Properly positioned, this condition only happens on a sunny day for one second on one day during the summer due to the sun angle changing over time and the elevation of the sun changing every day. The only way to get 90 degree incidence at all times is to use a motor driven pedestal slaved to track the sun. (expensive proposition for only one panel).

2) Rule of thumb is you get 80% efficiency on sunny days from a fixed system, and 20% efficiency on shady (cloudy) days. The actual number of Watts is then dependent on where you live as some areas get more sun than others.

3) You will also lose about 10% of what comes in from the panels in the inverter and line loss; converting the DC to AC.

4) Any excess panel output not used by your freezer during the day goes into the replacing what was used at night by your batteries. If your panels are only producing the "planning average" of 5 hours per day, you will be hard pressed to replace what came out of your battery with such a small panel.

5) Since you will be producing only 20% of the day (on average), your batteries must be sized to provide the remaining 80% (without going below 50% of rated capacity) and the panels must provide (after generation losses) the 20% load plus the 80% loss from the batteries.

It would be easier to work backwards from the 580 Watt average daily requirement to find out how much battery bank you would need and how much solar panel you would need to keep the bank healthy and still run your freezer.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #249
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
And you just want to use the 4 batteries and the 180 Watt panel, without a generator to recharge the batteries?

1) Solar panels are not 100% efficient and are rated in "full sun" at 90 degrees of sun ray incidence. Properly positioned, this condition only happens on a sunny day for one second on one day during the summer due to the sun angle changing over time and the elevation of the sun changing every day. The only way to get 90 degree incidence at all times is to use a motor driven pedestal slaved to track the sun. (expensive proposition for only one panel).

2) Rule of thumb is you get 80% efficiency on sunny days from a fixed system, and 20% efficiency on shady (cloudy) days. The actual number of Watts is then dependent on where you live as some areas get more sun than others.

3) You will also lose about 10% of what comes in from the panels in the inverter and line loss; converting the DC to AC.

4) Any excess panel output not used by your freezer during the day goes into the replacing what was used at night by your batteries. If your panels are only producing the "planning average" of 5 hours per day, you will be hard pressed to replace what came out of your battery with such a small panel.

5) Since you will be producing only 20% of the day (on average), your batteries must be sized to provide the remaining 80% (without going below 50% of rated capacity) and the panels must provide (after generation losses) the 20% load plus the 80% loss from the batteries.

It would be easier to work backwards from the 580 Watt average daily requirement to find out how much battery bank you would need and how much solar panel you would need to keep the bank healthy and still run your freezer.
Yep. I was told by a friend that has installed three solar systems to take your calculated daily need, then at minimum double the number of panels, triple if room and budget allows. If you decide you need 200W, then install 400.

The helps overcome the inherent inadequacies of solar. It's still not a fix for a cloudy day, but it's close.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #250
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 64
Hmmmm...starting to sound like an expensive proposition!! Think I'll pass on that then. Thanks for the input guys!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
2014 Salem 27RKSS
Burgeogull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.