Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #1

TV Backup Lights are on when Generator is Running

Noticed this the other day - when I am parked with the 7-pin trailer plug connected to my GMC Sierra and the on-board generator running on the trailer, my truck's backup lights are on... I know the easy answer is to disconnect the trailer wire whenever I run the generator but I'm curious if this is normal and if not, what the issue may be. Both truck and trailer are new...

Cheers!

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
vocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #2

This is weird and I've seen numerous people post about it. With our brand new trailer mine did it as well. Then I realized that I left the rear flood lights on which are on the very back of the trailer. Then when I turned those off, the backup lights went off. I'm guessing that the current was somehow back feeding through the lights and back into the truck.

When I get some time, I'm going to look into this more. I'm thinking that a simple diode that has the right specifications would fix this so the current back back flow into the truck. I have no idea if that would fix it, just a guess at this point.
Allistah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allistah View Post
... I realized that I left the rear flood lights on which are on the very back of the trailer. Then when I turned those off, the backup lights went off...
I didn't think to check the rear floods when it happened. I bet that's exactly what was happening. I will check this.

Thanks!

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
vocoder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, light