Old 04-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #21
And to throw another one into the mix, what is the rating of the trailer plug and receptacle on the TV? If you exceed it's rating you'll end up with a melted blob of plastic and bigger job on your hands when you get home. Or when you stop cuz half your fuses are gone..

Camped 2016 (Days/Nights) - 32/23
Nights camped 2015 - 29

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #22
Originally Posted by firsthere View Post
When we got home I checked them, unplugged from the truck for a couple hours and they were at 12.81v. All my batteries are new so probably best case. (the original AC Delco's lasted 11 years.) The 04 came set up for the trailering and since it's a Duramax two batteries and high output alternator.
Based on voltage it sounds like they were still warm from charging... actually 12.7 volts is considered 100%; best bet (if you can) check for a full charge is via hydrometer; you should see 1.265 SG (based on typical flooded) because I would think (based on my experiences) unless the batteries were above 3/4 at the start (12.4 volts or 1.225 SG) it should have taken longer than a couple of hours to reach "happy". I've had several trucks / trailers and charged while driving without much success, some miserably under achievers; before I knew much about the process. Granted, battery theory is so complicated, me saying I know anything is a stretch. I try to learn something everyday and hopefully not always the hard way! I do enjoy the conversation.

I think we sometimes fail to consider what is right for a camper that lives off the grid and one that only has to travel a few hours from one plug in to another is different; and the cost effectiveness of one solution doesn't fit all. One thing that's for sure is that if you don't take care of your batteries, you will be constantly helping the battery makers bottom line.

Here's what seems like a decent tutorial on charging.

XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #23
Thanks for the info and conversation. The trailer is new to us so it will be a learning experience. I'm glad the older truck can at least put out a decent charge especially since there are 4 total on the system.

The dump trailer has made 80-100 runs and that single battery only lasted about 7 years if I remember correctly. I think lack of use towards the end finally did it in.

The comment from glen1971 about overheating the trailer plug is something to consider and will keep an eye on this. The 40amp fuse in the truck has proven over-current protection already though I don't anticipate that happening with the TT load. I have been disconnecting before dumping since the last fuse went. Possibly the engine running with additional amperage may be the culprit there.

TT- 2016 Grey Wolf 21RB
TV- 2004 GMC3500 4x

Nights camped 2016- 14
Days at dealer 2016- 34
firsthere is online now   Reply With Quote

camper, charging, battery