Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Two Red switches by the entry steps

As you enter my 2006 Lexington 283GTS to the left near the second step are two red switches. I know facing them the one on the left is for the porch light and I think the other has to do with turning power on and off but to what and when?
I also have the battery disconnect so what could that little red button be for?
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

Is it for the steps? The switch next to the outside light on our Georgetown controls whether the steps go in and out when you open the door or just stay out.

Don't panic, the ignition controls for the steps override this one so they still retract when you start the engine regardless of the position of this one.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #3

On my Mirada, one of the switches is for the porch light, the other switch is for the ceiling light inside. However, for that wall switch to work, the ceiling light must be left in the ON position. (until I modified it)

NOTE, our step switch was also down low.

Operating these switches from inside the coach is a real safety hazard, so I relocated them higher on the wall. I can now operate the switches from inside the coach without leaning way over while trying to keep from falling out the door.

Relocating entry step and porch light switches | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

ALSO - I modified the inside ceiling fixture so the wall switch always works. But the switch on the ceiling fixture now selects LOW-MED-HIGH intensity, instead of OFF-MED-HIGH.

(Note - the link below is to my bathroom switch, but I modified the entry light ceiling fixture with the LED and the resistor, so it does the same thing, LOW-MED-HIGH)

Adding bathroom light wall switch converts ceiling fixture to LOW-MED-HIGH | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
Is it for the steps? The switch next to the outside light on our Georgetown controls whether the steps go in and out when you open the door or just stay out.

Don't panic, the ignition controls for the steps override this one so they still retract when you start the engine regardless of the position of this one.
You are correct it was for the steps.

Thank You, Owners manuals leave a lot to be desired.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Topspud

Our Forester has two red switches as well. one for outside light the other is for step and bathroom "night lights".
Enjoy.
Topspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #6

We have a Lexington. The switch closest to the door is the light switch. The closet switch to the inside is for the step. If you turn the step off while camping, it will not go in and out each time you open the door. The step will always go in before you drive.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsandhogs View Post
We have a Lexington. The switch closest to the door is the light switch. The closet switch to the inside is for the step. If you turn the step off while camping, it will not go in and out each time you open the door. The step will always go in before you drive.
Thank you for the info on the switch.

Since you have the same year make and model have you had any steering issues like the front end wandering? I have to keep adjusting steering wheel left and right to keep it in my lane? I just bought it used with only 45,000 miles on it so doesn't seem that I should need tie rod ends or ball joints. It also has the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. If you had this problem what did you do to cure it? I've adjusted the load as much as I can and had both axles weighed.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

We have about 55,000 miles on our unit. We have never had a problem with a wandering front end. Ours handles real well, and even towing is nice to drive. Have you tried new tires and a front end alignment? That would be the easiest fix. We had our tires and alignment done at a place that specializes in that. Even if the tires don't have as many miles, they may have aged out. We also try to load heavier at the bottom, but am not real fussy. And many times we are loaded very heavy and towing a cargo trailer with a Harley and tubs of supplies. We travel back and forth to Texas each spring and fall, we did 5000 miles and 5 weeks this spring, and are leaving next week for a 7 week trip West on our way to Texas. Also have done 10000 miles and 10 weeks Alaska trip. Love our Lexington, can get into smaller parks. Just wish there was a little more storage.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsandhogs View Post
We have about 55,000 miles on our unit. We have never had a problem with a wandering front end. Ours handles real well, and even towing is nice to drive. Have you tried new tires and a front end alignment? That would be the easiest fix. We had our tires and alignment done at a place that specializes in that. Even if the tires don't have as many miles, they may have aged out. We also try to load heavier at the bottom, but am not real fussy. And many times we are loaded very heavy and towing a cargo trailer with a Harley and tubs of supplies. We travel back and forth to Texas each spring and fall, we did 5000 miles and 5 weeks this spring, and are leaving next week for a 7 week trip West on our way to Texas. Also have done 10000 miles and 10 weeks Alaska trip. Love our Lexington, can get into smaller parks. Just wish there was a little more storage.
yep, in the process of getting the front end checked out today and then the alignment later this week.
Just put two new Hankooks on the front.

I also ride but haven't decided if I want to tow my bike and a car or just the car. First I need to get this front end issue taken care of.

Just bought it so haven't taken it out yet, would love to do the Alaska trip you did. Still re-stringing curtains, unplugging drains, building supports to hold plywood under the bed up so I can get into FW tank area, and now when I plug into my garage 110 vt it trips the GFI. Still hot here in Phoenix so I'll do some more trouble shooting tomorrow early.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

You will really enjoy it. Found that the turning radius is not the best, so if towing you need to watch the space situations you get into. We are also having the bike/car discussion, and are looking into the option of towing both. There is a dolly with a buck ramp on the front, also a swivel wheel trailer with dual mounts that allows you to tow a car behind it. We would then haul the Sportster instead of the Road King to lighten the load.

Tags
switch