Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Question Upgrading Batteries

Have 3 100AH Deep cell interstate batteries looking to change out.
Looking at the AGM-31 type. My problem is currently the wet cell due to the wiring and configuration I cannot remove the caps to do water filling due the the wiring directly over the caps. Because of this my batteries do not get regular maintenance. So would there be any recommendations of battery upgrade.
Also batteries are recessed deep in battery compartment hard to get too.
Thank you
Rlynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I'd go to to an Interstate store and trade for AGM 31 (190ah each). You didn't say how old yours are but Interstate is great about giving value even to old out of warranty ones. AGM are maint free.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 AM   #3

do you have room for a 4th battery? a common upgrade is golf cart 6v batteries - 2 in series or 4 in 2 parallel banks of 2 series. I've done it on my old trailer and it was great compared to 2 normal rv batteries (I think the golf cart ones are 220 amp hours each, and in series you'll still get 220ah, just at 12v. 2 banks of 2 series you'd be at 440 ah, so you'd come out ahead of even 4 normal RV batteries. The main downside is that you have to run an even number of them... and they are a bit taller.
Fosters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
Retired Old Fart

Also the Duracell group 31 AGM at Sam's Club are made by Deka and have the exact same specs as the Deka (East Penn) 8A31DT. They are the same as the Deka Intimidator AGM marine/rv battery. A lot less expensive to get the Duracell stickered ones for $180 at Sam's than the Deka stickered ones for over $300. They were $20 off at Sam's earlier this week, but that sale ended on the 24th.

Another less expensive option if access for watering the batteries is the only problem, would be to add a "Flow-Rite" watering system to your existing wet cell batteries. Pretty simple to use. I have them on my center console boat as watering 5 of the 6 batteries on that is a huge pain. Basically you hook a squeeze bulb and water supply line to a fitting on an extension hose and pump the bulb to top off the batteries. It senses the level needed and you don't have to pull the caps at all.

They have a couple of configurations. Their Pro Fill version can be pricey, but they have less expensive models. I have the Qwik Fill version on my boat.

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-care/

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #5

Theres always Lithium. Prices dropping slightly. Half the weight of wet cells. Can be taken to 0 charge without damage. Recharges four times quicker.
RET.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Also the Duracell group 31 AGM at Sam's Club are made by Deka and have the exact same specs as the Deka (East Penn) 8A31DT. They are the same as the Deka Intimidator AGM marine/rv battery. A lot less expensive to get the Duracell stickered ones for $180 at Sam's than the Deka stickered ones for over $300.

I'm using two of these in parallel. Remember, positive to coach from battery #1, negative from battery #2.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...lp_product_1_2
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

I used the Sam's AGM Group 31 batteries for the house batteries but had to use NAPA AGM's for the truck batteries because of the post spacing & didn't want to change cables to use the Sam's AGM's. All have worked fine for the last 9 months, time will tell.
Aggie1951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries