Old 07-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

USB power port wiring

We have a 2015 Grey Wolf 23' DBH and would like to add a pair of these 3.1A 12/24V Dual USB Ports Dashboard Mount Car Charger Adapters, one on either side of the queen bed.

We do a lot of dry camping and cannot run our generator very often. The idea is to use the battery to recharge our phones, over night. (I have already changed out all the light bulbs with LED's and our single battery lasted much longer than I expected.)

My questions are:
1. Do any of you have experience with these types of ports and possible have a better recommendation?
2. Do any of you have a suggestion of where to run the wires?
3. Should I add an on/off switch next to these so they don't suck up electricity when nothing is plugged in?

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

Don't have any experience with those exact ones, but I would suggest going with the round ones. They are just easier to mount by drilling a hole, instead of having to cut a rectangular one. I wouldn't worry about connecting to an extra switch, they shouldn't be able to draw much power just sitting idle. I don't have any experience with your trailer exactly, but in mine there are lights right next to the bed. I would just tap into those wires. You shouldn't have to worry about the extra amp draw, because you already changed out the 20w lights for probably 1w LED's anyway. If you are using just one of the USB outlets at a time you should still be drawing less amps than the normal light bulb would have.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

we also do lots of dry camping, probably 90% of the time.
since ours didn't have any 12v outlets, i hard-wired a 400w inverter, to run the tv, dvd and recharge electronic devices.
just ran the wires straight to the batteries.
here's apic of it by the tv hookups:

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
Don't have any experience with those exact ones, but I would suggest going with the round ones. They are just easier to mount by drilling a hole, instead of having to cut a rectangular one. I wouldn't worry about connecting to an extra switch, they shouldn't be able to draw much power just sitting idle. I don't have any experience with your trailer exactly, but in mine there are lights right next to the bed. I would just tap into those wires. You shouldn't have to worry about the extra amp draw, because you already changed out the 20w lights for probably 1w LED's anyway. If you are using just one of the USB outlets at a time you should still be drawing less amps than the normal light bulb would have.
Thanks. I was thinking of running them of the lights for the same reasons you mention. If they pop the fuse, I can always reroute the wires to the power converter under the refrigerator. (Which reminds me, I need to buy some extra fuses just to have on hand. Bummer they didn't use pullable breakers when they built the trailer. Oh, that's right, they cost a slight fortune!)

The rectangular USB ports should arrive this week. I'm not worried about cutting a rectangular hole in the wood, that is fairly easy to do. In fact, it is easier to do than cutting metal and I just put a similar port in an instrument panel, so no big deal. I also ordered a small round switch, to power them off when not in use. You are correct, there is very little power drain but by turning them off when not in use, there is even less power drain. Even better should I elect to store the trailer and not leave it plugged in, as I do now. Besides, the switches will be the easiest part to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
we also do lots of dry camping, probably 90% of the time.
since ours didn't have any 12v outlets, i hard-wired a 400w inverter, to run the tv, dvd and recharge electronic devices.
just ran the wires straight to the batteries...
Thanks but I am not a fan of wiring anything directly to the battery. Either it will be done in such a way as to look "factory" or it won't be done. The battery is hanging out there in the weather and connections to the battery can be easily compromised by the elements, road debris, etc. and they tend to stop working at the worst possible time.

Tags
power, wiring