Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #1

Use onboard charger/converter or get separate.

OK, so I just got a pedal boat. I am going to add an electric trolling motor to it for use when fishing. Question is, can I connect the deep cycle marine battery to the camper battery to charge over night or should I buy a separate dedicated charger? Will the camper charger converter be able to top off a high ah deep cycled battery in 8 hours?
RESET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:09 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESET View Post
OK, so I just got a pedal boat. I am going to add an electric trolling motor to it for use when fishing. Question is, can I connect the deep cycle marine battery to the camper battery to charge over night or should I buy a separate dedicated charger? Will the camper charger converter be able to top off a high ah deep cycled battery in 8 hours?
I would go with the separate charger just for the ease of being able to not have to jack the battery around. Those things are heavy! For the converter to work properly on the camper you would need to hook the battery up in parallel with the camper battery, if they are not the same size the converter may not charge it properly.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Team

In that situation I'd get a separate charger as suggested above.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESET View Post

Like the others say a separate charger . i use one of my 4 on-board batteries for a trolling motor when set up and always use a separate charger no need to put you converter through the extra abuse . plus the separate charger will do a better quicker job and not draw from your coach batteries
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter