Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Using Battery Tender

New to RVs, we have purchased a Flagstaff Popup camper this summer and have been using it every 2 weeks. Generally, I go over to the camper the day before and plug it in to my uncles garage so that I can get the refridgerator cooled down and ready for the trip.

I've also noticed that the battery is being slowly used by the LP/CO detector. I've read some threads on the battery disconnect switch and may go that route this winter when I do remove the battery.

Question is, I have a motorcycle and I generally use a Battery Tender on that to keep the battery up to snuff. I have an extra set of tender leads, can I just put them on the battery terminals and plug in the tender without changing any of the connections to the battery/converter? I'd only use this to have on the battery when not plugged into the converter in the camper. The day before, still unplug the tender and connect to shore power so I can chill the fridge.

What I don't know is if I have the tender on the battery, but without a disconnect, I guess I still feed the LP/CO and would it even make sense to try and have the tender on there with a load still on the battery.

Maybe I just answered my own question, but if someone could verify my circle of thought I'd appreciate it.
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is best to charge with your portable charger while the trailer is disconnected. I have done it both ways without adverse effect, but it seems logical to disconnect so that the battery gets the full amount of amps.

I would not use my battery tender that I have for my motorcycle without a disconnect. My BT is 1.25 amps as I recall so the parasitic draws would use up some of that.

Personally, I store my camper with the batteries on the trailer, with a full charge and disconnected. I can go months without needing to recharge in the winter.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery