Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Vampire Draining Batteries

New rig purchased in OK. Did the PDI, trade-in and transfer of gear and then left for several days before coming back to pick it up to bring home. Batteries were dead. Dealer figured something had been left on even though the disconnect was hanging free and put in a couple more batteries.

Drove it to Kerrville and camped on shore power for a week then brought it home to storage. Went back to storage a couple weeks later and those new batteries were at 10.5 volts. Took the rig out for inspections and such then back in storage.

Went today to take photos for the insurance and batteries were at 7.5 volts. Had to use jumper cables to get the slides open.

So where do I look for this power draw? The disconnect is disconnecting everything except the external auto-level controller. It still shows the small green light if you push the up/down buttons. Actually today it was a steady red light without pushing any buttons. Is that control supposed to be hot? Could that be draining me?

Everything else in the rig is completely off when the red switch is disconnected. At least everything I know about including the monitors. After each trip the control panel inside has shown 13.6 volts on the batteries after unhooking the truck so it seems to be charging OK.

Something is vampiring my juice and I need to drive a stake through its heart.
TXFolkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #2

There can be a few things still on. Disconnect one of the battery cables and put a meter inbetween the cable and the battery to see how much power is being drawn. Personally, I have everything turn off when my disconnect switch is off.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #3

Put your own battery cut off on the ground cable going to the frame. That will guarantee nothing is drawing them down. Could also do the positive side for the same shut down.

Tags
batteries, drain