Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Vandal Kills My Batteries

Hi,

Went to the commercial storage lot yesterday to prep our Silverback for a trip this weekend, and found my batteries (two, year-old T-105's) totally dead. The Trimetric panel showed the solar system was putting nothing in the batteries, and two hours charging on a generator failed to put anything in them either.

The presumed cause was discovered, in the form of the emergency brake cable laying on the ground near the fiver. Sometime in the last few months, a passerby had pulled the cable, engaging the brakes and consequently draining the batteries.

A call to my local golf car service department confirmed my estimation that there was no way to bring them back. The next step was me signing a check for several hundred bucks for new batteries.

The good news is that a low speed test of both the emergency brake/switch operation and regular braking off the dash controller seems to indicate no functional damage.

No real message here, other than to vent my frustration over what a brief malicious act cost me.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

It is really sad that we live in a world today that people just have no respect for other people's property. (or other people for that matter)
kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #3

Install a battery disconnect right at the battery to hopefully prevent similar ocurences....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #4

Hi Fonzi,

Yup, I thought if that. But it would deactivate the solar circuit as well -- something I don't want to do, for reasons that have to do with our use pattern for a portion of the year.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Rich
Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi Fonzi,

Yup, I thought if that. But it would deactivate the solar circuit as well -- something I don't want to do, for reasons that have to do with our use pattern for a portion of the year.

Rich
Maybe rewire the brakes through a disconnect? Just don't forget to turn it back on before moving the unit? Fortunately this isn't a problem I have had to deal with.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #6

Hi Aaron,

That was another thought I had as well.

It does risk my forgetting to flip that switch back after I hitch up -- which is not beyond the realm of possibility. But it's probably the next best option.

I keep reminding myself this is the first such incident in 15+ years in that storage location, and maybe I'm over-reacting...

Rich
Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
disco-nect

Perhaps use the disconnect switch that leaves the solar connected. Put a flag where you can see it when you reconnect to remind you to reactivate the brakes/switch.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

Hi Paulie,

Some variation of that might work. Thanks.

Rich
Old 05-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Install a battery disconnect right at the battery to hopefully prevent similar ocurences....
Ditto on the battery disconnect. My electric trailer jack has a light on it. I don't want anyone to flip on the light or run the jack so I use a disconnect when stored. Also prevents the CO2 detector from draining the battery.
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamper00 View Post
It is really sad that we live in a world today that people just have no respect for other people's property. (or other people for that matter)
X2. Next time, pull the batteries out and store them at home. You can maintain them at home, and you get no surprises next time you go to the storage lot.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Hi Fonzi,

Rich
Two thoughts:
1. If you disconnect everything on a FULL bank of batts...you have at least 3 months before you have to even think about battery state of charge. YOu could then hook back to solar for a few days and start all over.

2. You could remove all connections from batts except your solar charge controller. So you'd essentially just have a trickle charger going in daylight hours.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 PM   #12

Your batteries may not be worth saving, depending on how long they were dead for, or if they could have potentially froze over winter. Either way, even if they do take a charge they will have definately sulfated and lost capacity. That being said, I have been successful in the past charging completely flat batteries by attaching a good battery with jumper cables (basically jump starting the dead battery to bring the voltage up enough for the charger to work) and a non smart battery charger applied for several days or longer depending on how many amps you are putting in. You might also have to apply a small load to the batteries to convince them to start to take a charge (any small 12v draw attached to the battery should work).
Once charged cycle the batteries several times to help desulfate them.

Note: a smart charger will not work for this, you will need a non smart charger.

Worst case, the batteries are NFG and you just waste a bit of time playing with batteries....

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #13

I stored my rv at trailer park below the snow line for only one month, last February. I had gotten tired of shoveling snow off of it. Big mistake, someone stole my rear license plate with the tags. It took me one week of numerous trips to the DMV and police department to replace my plates. Next year the rv will stay on my property.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Maybe rewire the brakes through a disconnect? Just don't forget to turn it back on before moving the unit? Fortunately this isn't a problem I have had to deal with.

Aaron
That idea would be a violation of the law regarding emergency brakes on trailers as well as a VERY bad idea. What if the switch failed or you neglected to turn the system back on..............the liability (Criminal as well as Civil) would ALL fall on YOU!

MUCH better to simply disconnect the batteries and leave the emergency brake system as installed!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
Retired

Quote:
I'm thinking to maybe wire your controller directly to the batteries so then you can use the cut off switch like normal and the solar will keep on charging???

Mine is wired to the panel (I'm assuming yours is as well) so I'm in the same boat where I have to leave the battery switch on if I want to keep the batteries topped up while in storage.

Your story has me re-thinking to wire mine direct???

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
What are the chances you accidentally and unknowingly pulled the cable yourself? I've pulled mine while unhooking once before...luckily I noticed it right away.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #17

Hi,

Thanks for all the input.

Gonna stare at it a while and then make a decision.

Rich
Old 05-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #18

Had something similar happen to me not long ago. Was hauling my tractor on a utility trailer and someone took out the pin and tried to cut the lanyard. Next time at the store I'm going to get a spare just in case they strike again. Sad that some folks have lost their values that they feel it necessary to pull stunts like this. I'll keep my spare in my TV so if it happens with the TT I'll have it on hand.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #19
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
That idea would be a violation of the law regarding emergency brakes on trailers as well as a VERY bad idea. What if the switch failed or you neglected to turn the system back on..............the liability (Criminal as well as Civil) would ALL fall on YOU!

MUCH better to simply disconnect the batteries and leave the emergency brake system as installed!
Illegal to vandalize and tamper with it too.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries