Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #1

Viking 21FQ Converter /Charger

Hello, New to the forum. I purchased a New Viking 21FQ in May of 2017. I would like to replace the coverter / battery charger with a smart charger to give me more more chargers and extend the battery life. I have two 12 batteries. I wanted to be able to order the piece before we got the trailer out of storage so l have everything to start the job. No idea on the size, can’t find the spec’s for the electrical system. Thanks
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlong View Post
Hello, New to the forum. I purchased a New Viking 21FQ in May of 2017. I would like to replace the coverter / battery charger with a smart charger to give me more more chargers and extend the battery life. I have two 12 batteries. I wanted to be able to order the piece before we got the trailer out of storage so l have everything to start the job. No idea on the size, can’t find the spec’s for the electrical system. Thanks
The installed converter on that new a camper is a "smart charger", probably made by WFCO. I suggest you look up the converter model (number usually found on the inside of the front cover).

The need for a second battery and/or a "better" converter depends on your camping style and how you store your camper between trips. If you are always camping with electric hook-ups, there is no need for a second battery or a better converter. If you are boondocking for days on end, you will need to understand your usage, and a generator and/or solar panel setup to recharge your batteries.

A better converter ONLY makes a difference if you are recharging from a generator for a couple of hours a day. In that specific case, you will need to match the current rating of the converter to the battery bank size (converter amp rating should be 25% of the battery bank AH), and you will need a converter that holds bulk mode to about 90% state of charge (SOC). Progressive Dynamics converters do feature bulk mode to 90%, unlike WFCO converters. PD converters are available in "drop-in" replacements for WFCO.

If you are not trying to recharge with a generator in just a couple of hours, the recharge rates of the converter make little useful difference. To recharge from 50% to 100% takes at least 9 hours, no matter the converter.

I replaced my batteries with 2 GC-2 6V batteries from Costco to carry my little A-frame in modest winter conditions for 4 nights without recharging. I replaced my stock WFCO converter because the WFCO would never go into trickle mode. The PD goes into all 3 modes correctly (measured with a voltmeter). The PD also recharges faster when we are plugged in - but that really doesn't matter because I'm always plugged in for at least overnight when I am plugged in.

hope this helps
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks

That explanation is prefect! We always camp at full hook up sites so there is no need for me to spend the money.
Thanks so much
Dlong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter