Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #1

Voltage

Checking the voltage at my battery and negative to frame I get 12.48 volts. Checking the 12v outlet inside the camper it is 12.2. Is this normal? I just finished cleaning all the ground connections to the frame and where the hot wire goes in and comes out of the breaker.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 08-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #2

Maybe. 12 volt wiring is notorious for line loss.

For fun measure the truck battery while running the check the rv battery. Might be over 1 volt.

I installed a Bluetooth battery monitor in the fuse panel. It records. Really an education on batteries from that.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #3

There is a certain amount of loss in the length of wire. Your 12 volt system grounds at the fuse panel which is also where the converter terminates and also where the battery feeds. All your 12 volt wires end at this panel. There is your difference from the battery and where you checked.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Thsnks everyone. I knew there would be voltage loss just wasn't expecting 1/4 volt.

I wasn't having any problems, just doing general PM. Wish I would have thought to check the voltage drop before I started just to see if it did any thing. There was rust between the terminals and frame.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
Thsnks everyone. I knew there would be voltage loss just wasn't expecting 1/4 volt.

I wasn't having any problems, just doing general PM. Wish I would have thought to check the voltage drop before I started just to see if it did any thing. There was rust between the terminals and frame.
Why doesn't spell check work when I want it to?

Tags
voltage