Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Take The Road Less Travld

Just an update. So far, I am getting between a 117v and 122v reading at different times. I guess that's good enough. Most of the time I am reading 118v. I like that number better. Now I feel comfortable at getting the built in surge protector. Thanks for the low battery input. That changed the whole dynamic of this issue to a non-issue . Great stuff to know anyway.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #22
Jack of All Trades

My guess would be it has everything to do with the amount of power consumption on your particular grid. Take readings at different intervals through out the day. I would expect your voltage to be in check during peak hours, say (4pm-9pm) when everyone is home and using more. When the load lightens at night, or in the morning, I would expect it to go up. If you are getting the same reading at your house as you are at your buddies down the road, there is nothing you can do. It will need to be handled by your power company. Undoubtedly, the power is distributed to all your neighbors at 7400 or 14,000 volts. Each pole has a transformer which is hard tapped dropping it to single phase 240. If the input voltage varies, the output varies accordingly. So if they are sending 7850 down the line, you will get excess of 240. It is probably a regulation issue at the closest sub-station. That is my guess.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Just an update. So far, I am getting between a 117v and 122v reading at different times. I guess that's good enough. Most of the time I am reading 118v. I like that number better. Now I feel comfortable at getting the built in surge protector. Thanks for the low battery input. That changed the whole dynamic of this issue to a non-issue . Great stuff to know anyway.
You are welcome. I have seen this more than once, and have seen problems on both sides, member and utility company. Thought batteries would be an easy check. If I can be of any more help let me know.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
I may getting very technical here but the transformer on the pole outside of your house is not a tap changer one.
The post never said 'that' local transformer has a tap charger. The post said where voltages are adjusted.
Quote:
View a wire from the pole's top to the transformer. Follow that wire back to another transformer. That is where your voltage is regulated.
That 'another' transformer changes voltages often during the day. For example, since there are many transformers farther down the line (fed by the 'another' transformer), then 'another' transformer must increase voltage maybe in the morning to provide enough voltage for other and more distant pole transformers. he OP would observe voltage increase from 118 to 125.

A wire on top a pole transformer connects to a wire highest on the pole. Follow that wire back to the 'another' transformer that does voltage changes. If closer to 'another' transformer, then household voltages might vary more so that voltages farther down the wire remain more constant during the day.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #25

So far so good guys. Every time I've checked it was at 118. Thanks again for the help and now I'll feel more comfortable about my appliances and putting a surge guard in my trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Thanks again for the help and now I'll feel more comfortable about my appliances ...
Should you wish to learn more from this event, then buy a Kill-A-Watt. A a simplest tool, inexpensive, and will introduce additional and relevant concepts related to appliance protection.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #27

I have a P4460. They are nice to have when figuring out how much you pay for something to run

Take The Road Less Traveled!

Tags
voltage