Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Take The Road Less Travld

Voltage Too High

I started looking into adding the built in surge protector for my trailer. After reading up on the details, I learned that it auto shuts off and kills power to your trailer after reaching 128 volts. This raised a few flags as I have seen numbers above that in the past but never really thought anything of it. I right away tested the TT-30 in my garage and it metered 130-132 depending on the time of day. Well, this isn't going to work, the surge protector will never even turn on when I plug it into the Garage.

I did some more research and found that this isn't really good for my appliances at all and that it may cause damage when reaching ranges over 125 or so. I spoke with someone about the details and found out that my entire house was running this high at the recepticals.

I tested at the panel using a volt meter putting the ground on several different points on the neutral\ground bar in the panel and testing different power sources on different breakers. Some read 128 and others read 130. I was told my only option was to call the power company and they would have to fix it at the pole. I also read something about this could be caused by a bad neutral\ground in my house.

Before calling the power company, I wanted to check here and see what others had to say and maybe what else I can check if anything.
thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #2

I just experienced that at my house, my fridge sounded funny one day and I found 140 at the outlets. I called the power company, they sent a truck out, they tested my neutral, said it was fine. As they were at the pole the voltage dropped to 124. They said they didn't change anything but apparently something happened.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Ha! Sounds like to me they fixed something or just cleaned off the dust on the transformer.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #4

Either they fixed something or accidentally tightened something up. It's still solid so I'm good.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Yep; transformer issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	56760  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Utilities are allowed to have two utilization voltage ranges:
Range A is normal operation and is 120V +/- 5%
Range B is supposed to be of limited extent, frequency and duration. It is 120V with the range of +6% to -13%.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

Same issue a few years ago

We had the same issues a few years back. Our light bulbs seemed brighter in the house and were burning out more than expected. Also, when the clothes dryer started, there was a noticeable thump. I then checked the receptacles with a multimeter and found it to be in the 140 volt range. Spoke to an electrician friend who stopped in and checked the voltage at the panel. He said it was definitely on the power company line. Called the power company and they had someone over fairly quickly and changed the transformer. No issues since then.

Bill

2012 GreyWolf 18rb
2011 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Equalizer Hitch
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Ha! Sounds like to me they fixed something
View a wire from the pole's top to the transformer. Follow that wire back to another transformer. That is where your voltage is regulated. Inside, it changes taps (adjusts voltage) so that yours remains around 120 volts. Doing many adjustments daily.

Voltage that high is not great for appliances. But will not cause damage. However incandescent bulbs would be failing at well less than half their rated hours.

Key is whether bulbs change intensity when major appliances power cycle. In most cases, this is an interior wiring problem. In rare cases, this is a major human safety issue. For example, fortunately no one was home when that fault caused a gas meter explosion.

But a constant high voltage is a problem at that transformer far from you house and often surrounded by a very high chain line fence.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

So the electric company came out and tested. Everything was fine. It was at 118 when he tested it. When I got home, I tested the same plug he tested and was getting a 130. I went to a friends house a few blocks away and was getting the same reading. Now I need to order a new volt meter before I'll know for sure.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So the electric company came out and tested. Everything was fine. It was at 118 when he tested it. When I got home, I tested the same plug he tested and was getting a 130. I went to a friends house a few blocks away and was getting the same reading. Now I need to order a new volt meter before I'll know for sure.

The cheap ones do have a + range. Some are really big...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #11

Quote:

How much of a time difference was it between the utility guy measuring the voltage and you measuring the voltage? The line loading could have changed such that the voltage is really high. If the line voltage regulator for the power line that feeds your home is goofy, there may not be proper regulation. I've seen it many times.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #12

There was about 5 hours difference. I was worried about the the load difference too which is why I'm going to get a new or borrowed one just to check.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

Probably a good idea. 130v is way outside the 120v+/-5%. You really need to monitor this until you can confirm whats going on. Highest I remember is 132v, due to a faulty regulator. My company paid a lot of $ for personal propery that was fried.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #14

Utility company where I live run close to 125v as possible and yes it does vary with line loading especially at peak times. Also low batteries in voltmeter can give you wild readings, might want to check that.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodler View Post
Utility company where I live run close to 125v as possible and yes it does vary with line loading especially at peak times. Also low batteries in voltmeter can give you wild readings, might want to check that.

Hmmmmm. Low batteries, that could be the problem. I know that thing had died a few times but seems to come back to life later. I don't think the battery is supposed to be a serviceable part, but of course I've opened it and I think it's just a AA battery

Old 07-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #16

In most meters, the battery is only for reading resistance. When reading amps/volts, the current to move the meter needle comes from what you're reading. (Qualifier - This may only apply to analog meters. I'm not too familiar with the guts of a digital meter.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodler View Post

So now that's interesting. I was hoping you were right but not expecting it. With a digital volt meter, make sure you have a good battery. I took out the 9v battery out of my digital voltmeter and found that it was jut about dead. Alive enough I guess to give me a zero reading before plugging into a wall jack but dead enough to sque the readings. So just now, I plug into the wall and I am getting a 124. I plug in the new battery and I'm getting a 118...... Just to make sure I do it again with the old battery an same readings. I try another plug and do the same thing. I'm getting a 6v difference in my readings. I keep the new battery and keep an eye on my "true" readings throughout the week and see what I'm getting. Thanks for all ya'lls input.

Take The Road Less Traveled!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #18

the digital voltmeters will give you wild readings with low battery no matter if your trying to read volts, amps or resistance/ohms.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
View a wire from the pole's top to the transformer. Follow that wire back to another transformer. That is where your voltage is regulated. Inside, it changes taps (adjusts voltage) so that yours remains around 120 volts. Doing many adjustments daily.

But a constant high voltage is a problem at that transformer far from you house and often surrounded by a very high chain line fence.
I may getting very technical here but the transformer on the pole outside of your house is not a tap changer one. The taps on those transformers are fixed. What does have taps is a voltage regulator.

Usually there is a piece of equipment called a voltage regulator somewhere on the line. This could be installed out on the line a distance from the substation, in the substation itself or the large power transformer in the substation may have a tap changer integral to it.

The voltage regulator is typically used to maintain voltage regulation on the line by either boosting or bucking the voltage by moving taps. It is set up by the utility to maintain voltage within limits at the farthest service point from that voltage regulator. Very long distribution lines may have several voltage regulators on the line. These do fail and the voltage may not regulate.

The electric power system is dynamic in that the voltage does fluctuate depending on many factors. The prevalent one is the loading on the line. If there is a large single load on the line, say a commercial/industrial facility, and something happens where the entire facility trips off line, the voltage will go high for a short period of time until voltage regulation can react and bring voltage back to normal. The reverse is true also.
2012 Rockwood 2109S (Sold)
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS

wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdvt View Post
I may getting very technical here but the transformer on the pole outside of your house is not a tap changer one. The taps on those transformers are fixed. What does have taps is a voltage regulator.

Usually there is a piece of equipment called a voltage regulator somewhere on the line. This could be installed out on the line a distance from the substation, in the substation itself or the large power transformer in the substation may have a tap changer integral to it.

The voltage regulator is typically used to maintain voltage regulation on the line by either boosting or bucking the voltage by moving taps. It is set up by the utility to maintain voltage within limits at the farthest service point from that voltage regulator. Very long distribution lines may have several voltage regulators on the line. These do fail and the voltage may not regulate.

The electric power system is dynamic in that the voltage does fluctuate depending on many factors. The prevalent one is the loading on the line. If there is a large single load on the line, say a commercial/industrial facility, and something happens where the entire facility trips off line, the voltage will go high for a short period of time until voltage regulation can react and bring voltage back to normal. The reverse is true also.

Some transformers do have tap changers. Most of the time they are used for special situations. Not all that common on basic residential homes.

Tags
voltage