Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Water Heater

I am having problem getting water heater to operate on electric only! I switched switch on water to electric and turned off propane but didn't get the heater to warm the water! What am I doing wrong? Do I have a electrical problem? Help! Forest River Georgetown 378XL
Mike9224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you get hot water if using just propane. If so then your bypass valves are probably set correct. If not, then you need to look there first.

Is you circuit breaker to the water heater on. Some people flip them off, and forget about them.

Are you on shore power or generator? You have to have 120 volt AC for the electric heating element to work.

Is there any possibility you may have turned on the element without water in the tank. If so you may have burned out the electric element

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #3

"I switched switch on water to electric and turned off propane". I take that to mean he had been using the propane to heat the water before changing it to electric. Therefore: Being as the water heater did heat water using propane I would see this as not having proper voltage to the water heater's element. @Mike9224: This would be a good time to know how to use a volt meter to test 1) do you have the proper voltage to the heating element, 2) does the heating element test good? There may also be a switch somewhere neat the water heater that must be on for the water heater to operate.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater