Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Water Heater and battery charging issues

I have a 2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26BH and I swear it is cursed!! It always seems like there is some sort of issue. The latest weekend issues are....The camper is plugged into a electrical source continually. But everytime we go to the lake the battery is dead. Being plugged in the battery should be charging, correct? We then need to hook a charger up to the battery, which it then works after it is charged. Any suggestions?

Issue #2 - Water heater. The water heater worked fine prior to winterizing it. After we de-winterized it we are having issues with the water getting hot. It is getting warm and the unit itself is warm, so I know it is working. Then when you turn the faucet on the water cycles from warm to cold and warm to cold continuously during a shower and when the hot water is on on the faucet. We have tried both using the gas and the electricity. HELP!!

This camper us new and it has been nothing but issues.

nickie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
one, have you checked the water level in the battery?

two, it sounds like you may have not done the WH bypass correctly.
did you winterize it or did the dealer? check the WH bypass valve.
do a search here for pics of the correct way to turn the valves.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Thanks!! I think I got the WH problem fixed. The water level in the battery is full. Is there anything else you think it could be.
nickie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Can you check the battery charging with a voltmeter. On shorepower you should have about 13.5V across the battery if the charger of the convertor is working properly.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou
If there is not 13.5 volts or higher AT THE BATTERY then you will need to determine where there IS 13.5 volts or higher and track it to the battery.

There is a current limiter under the tongue of the Travel Trailer close to the battery that looks like the photo. On the side of the current limiter is a reset button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1020-1030-1040-1050_5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	14508  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Sounds to me like the battery isn't getting charged completely by being plugged in. How long between your trips? It may be that your converter isn't charging the battery completely. If you are saying that when you charge the battery using a charger, it works okay; that tells me that your batteries are working correctly (once charged). I rarely charge my battery using the converter. I have a battery tender that will fully charge my batteries within a couple days.

MikeInColo is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, led pad