Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Unhappy Water Pump keeps blowing fuse

Hello fellow RVers. This is my first post on the forum but I have been using it constantly for the last month. We are just wrapping up our first month full timing in a 2015 Columbus 340RK Fifthwheel. We have been plagued with issues since we drove it off the lot. The latest is that the water pump keeps blowing the fuse that runs it. I have found threads with similar issues. This started two days ago. I thought perhaps it had something to do with washing dishes since that seems to be whenever it happens but this morning it blew while the husband was brushing his teeth in the bathroom. We spoke to our dealer and they suspect it is the pump itself. The pump doesn't get hot and we have checked for any loose wiring and didn't see any (although to say it's a mess down there in the wiring is an understatement). They have sent us a new pump but we are hesitant to just install it if that isn't the underlying problem. At one point I had found a checklist of things to look at for this problem on the forum but now I can't find it (should have book marked it). Can any of you tell us a good way to rule out any other issues that might be causing the fuse to blow OR to rule in that it's definitely the pump? I hate to put a new pump in and have it not solve the problem.

Thank you for any advice!

mkcntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
At the fuse panel, measure the amperage draw with the pump off. It should be zero. If it's not zero, it's possible that some knuckle head at the factory or the dealer tapped the circuit to run something else. Next measure the amperage draw with the pump on. Compare that measurement to the stated amp draw on the spec sheet of the pump. If it's out of parameters, you have a bad pump. If it's not out of parameters, you may still have an intermittent fault in the wiring or an intermittent fault in the pump itself.

Change out the pump. If that solves it, it was the pump. If it doesn't solve it, your problem lies elsewhere.

On edit: it's also possible that the circuit has been fused improperly with a fuse with a rating too small for the pump. BUT, if you suspect that may be the case, do not unilaterally replace the fuse with one of a higher rating. Let the dealer's tech or a qualified expert make that call.
Ham_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote

fuse, pump, water, water pump