Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #1

Watt Meter Information

Hello, Just finished installing a 400 Watt solar system with three 12 volt batteries and a 1000 Watt inverter in my 2006 SVT230. great fun! After installing a Watt meter and checking everything I found that yes indeed these items use power all the time.

LP Gas Detector 1.0 Watts
Radio Turned off" 1.0 Watts

If you remove a fuse, or one blows and you have a bad fuse indictor LED light on the service panel it draws 0.1 Watts.

There has been a lot of talk about the Refrigerator "Climate Control Switch" yes mine does have one. The unit draws 3.5 Watts when running on LP and an additional 10 Watts with the Climate Control switch on. The manual does mention to keep this switch off when using battery power alone.

The vent fan in the bathroom has three settings, Low @ 15 Watts, Med @ 25 Watts and High @ 35 Watts.

The water heater startup shows 15 Watts and then goes to 4 Watts.

The furnace shows 90.0 Watts with the fan running.

I have replaced all the lights with LED versions and can not wait to try out the new system.
These numbers are what my watt meter reads so please just use this as a general reference and verify your own.

Bye for now

Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMUSSON View Post
Hello, Just finished installing a 400 Watt solar system with three 12 volt batteries and a 1000 Watt inverter in my 2006 SVT230. great fun! After installing a Watt meter and checking everything I found that yes indeed these items use power all the time.

LP Gas Detector 1.0 Watts
Radio Turned off" 1.0 Watts

If you remove a fuse, or one blows and you have a bad fuse indictor LED light on the service panel it draws 0.1 Watts.

There has been a lot of talk about the Refrigerator "Climate Control Switch" yes mine does have one. The unit draws 3.5 Watts when running on LP and an additional 10 Watts with the Climate Control switch on. The manual does mention to keep this switch off when using battery power alone.

The vent fan in the bathroom has three settings, Low @ 15 Watts, Med @ 25 Watts and High @ 35 Watts.

The water heater startup shows 15 Watts and then goes to 4 Watts.

The furnace shows 90.0 Watts with the fan running.

I have replaced all the lights with LED versions and can not wait to try out the new system.
These numbers are what my watt meter reads so please just use this as a general reference and verify your own.

Bye for now
Most newbes to RVing don't realize how much parasitic power their units use and can't understand why their batts run down so fast when not in use. The installation of just one 100 watt solar panel and small controller, covers all that used power. The only fix is either solar or a disconnect switch. Those watts add up!
Bet ya get a larger inverter before you are through. IMHO

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

2012 Silverado 1500 and flying a Cessna.
Going to Oshkosh 2015, dry camping for the week.
Will you be going?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #4

We are headed for two weeks at FT Desoto, FL and then a week at Madereia Beach for another week, topped off with a week at Veterans Memorial State Park in GA. I'm chomping at the bit to get out of Dodge. Someone let the hounds out!!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote