Old 06-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
Weirdness with Gen today

It is hotter than you know what down here... We were heading home I had both ACs running on the generator, As I turned a sharp corner to get on the road the ACs died, I think that the generator was still on. I turned it off and tried at stop light to get stuff going again, not enough time. We rode for an hour with the anemic cab AC, it got very hot. I stopped for a fur kid break, i got the gen going, got both AC going (one at a time to avoid an overload). We can home no issue. Fuel tank was over 3/4 full.

More background, unit is new and is due for its 20 hr oil change. Water heater was off. We have residential fridge that runs off teh coach batteries when off shore power. I noticed that the engine was putting out 14.1 V when I started out, this dropped to 13.8 at the end of the trip. Could the inverter have not changed the batteries while we sat at teh campsite and the extra draw was to much. We sat for 30 minutes running off the generator before we took off.

When the transfer switch is cutting i can hear what sounds several thunks before it cuts in and we get power out of the generator.

So what is the likely cause of total power failure in this case?

happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Over-temp cutoff? Which generator are you running?

It would actually be your converter that does the battery charging, but I doubt it was a low battery issue. If that was the case, the generator would shut down.. not keep running after the A/C's cut out.

With regard to the "thunks".. were the A/C's running when you cranked over your genny? If so, those "thunks" may have been heavy arching.

If it was an over temp you probably want to get that oil changed and check the exhaust lines for any obstructions. You might also check the spark arrestor screen and air filter for any buildup.

Just tossing ideas.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
i have as much load off when i start running. i turn both units off and then add one at a time when we have power.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
When you did the(Turned a Sharp Corner) maneuver your (LOW Oil sender) shut down the Engine! When you stopped the Oil Level equalized! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote