Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Well, regardless of who's right or wrong or who knows what, the article is a good reminder to folks not to rely on 15A to power much of anything. Personally I use it at home only to charge batteries or run the fridge. I'll also check my adapters for any signs of corrosion / dirt.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Well, regardless of who's right or wrong or who knows what, the article is a good reminder to folks not to rely on 15A to power much of anything. Personally I use it at home only to charge batteries or run the fridge. I'll also check my adapters for any signs of corrosion / dirt.
With that I agree.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavanzo View Post
With that I agree.
X2 - Good points and cautions. Never did the AC with 15 amp but it is good to know the possible risk.

TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD
Souris River Canoe leTigre Quetico 17
Old Town Canoe Penobscot 17 Royalex
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #14

the photo in the referenced article shows a plastic case badly damaged by heat. I agree that it could potentially start a fire but, from the description of the problem, I'd be surprised if if a bad plug caused this. I suspect that the melted item is part of the on/off control for the 120VAC heater

The only part of an RV fridge that runs on 110AC is the heating element. This element should be isolated from the chassis, something I can check the next time I'm at my RV. This isolation is necessary to prevent having 110AC appear on exposed metal parts of the rig.

My Dometic installation manual shows, where circuit diagrams are provided, that the heater is connected between the hot and neutral AC power lines. It does not show that either of the lines is connected to ground. One of the lines goes through a thermostat control to switch the heater on and off as needed. If the contacts in the thermostat become pitted, heat will be created across them which should eventually cause component overheating.

I suspect that the bad plug the RV technician found was a coincidence to the overheated control board and not its cause.

Phil
Old 08-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
X3. I didn't even think running AC was possible on 15Amp power so I had never tried it. This just reinforced that I never will.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #16

One thing stands out in the article:

“There are many variables that could cause the problem in this situation that are outside of the control of Dometic,” he explained. “I have never heard of this happening before.”

I think that sums up the problem. The technician was wrong as a bad connection at the cord plug should not create any problem at the board other than a low voltage condition at the heater. A loose connection on the board will heat up and do that kind of damage but has nothing to do with the cord adapter. The tech has the idea of heat due to I squared R losses but does not make the connection that the heat occurs at the point of the bad connection not somewhere else. If the circuit was open at the pin the rest of the components are expected to be designed to sit there in comfort waiting for the connection to be restored. They will not have any current so no heat.