Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #1

WFCO AC/DC converter

I've noticed thar my batt. Slowly runs down over a long period of time. I read somewhere that the converter has a humm to it when operating. I have yet to hear such. So today while laying in the floor getting the Model # of my furnace. I decided to open the door on my converter and have a look. I noticed the bottom breaker was not on. It is marked CONV. It is a double switched breaker. The top switch on the bottom breaker will not set. It breaks before you get the switch pushed over. Anyone know about this. Its a WF 8955 AN.
jedagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

I wouldn't keep on trying to reset it. It tripping due to a short . If you keep on trying to reset the breaker can sometime make the breaker fuse & it will have a melt down. Can cause a Fire. I think it the 12v charger in the conv. Not 100%
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

I went out and did some experimenting. Unplugged power and unhooked batt. Breaker stays on and doesn't break while switching on. I plugged in power. Breaker throws while flipping switch. I unplugged power and hooked up batt. Breaker works that way. The bad thing about the whole deal is this TT is an 07 model but has never been used. Older couple bought it new and never got to use it due to accute health problems. All tape and stickers still on appliances. I wonder about warranty on converter.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Site Team

remember, if you don't have a battery disconnect switch or undo the battery cable, the trailer's parasitic power drains will discharge the battery in just a few days.
this is if the shore power isn't hooked up or as you may suspect, the converter is not working right, even with shore power.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Charge the battery with an automobile charger, and see if it holds. My converter will throw the breaker if the RV battery is severely discharged. I can usually reset it and be ok. I am assuming the previous owner let the battery completely drain, and it may be no good, even possibly shorted. You might try to disconnect the battery and see if the breaker will stay "set". You don't need a battery if you have shore power. There are other post on here about testing a battery, do a search, but I would disconnect and the battery and try it. Make sure you isolate the positive cable as it will have voltage on it if the converter works.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #6

It is also a possibility that the battery cables are hooked up backwards. They are black and white on some campers, and the black wire is positive on those. I had a Coleman popup that was hooked up that way. It was confusing, to say the least! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

windrider has a good check list. If this problem last you may want too get some new battery. If the old owner left the battery drain a long time it hard to get lift in them & if they have a short it will kill the converter. If your rig has slidout it best to have batteries to help with the 12v load.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #8

i'm leaning toward the entire converter being bad. when ur pluged into shore power, does everything work? do the lights continue to work when the battery dies?
i'm trying to figure if the converter is supplying ur trailer when on shore power or the battery. if the converter is working, u probably wouldn't know the battery is dying until u disconnect.
batterys at that age can be a problem if u disconnected the bat and it still kecked the breaker when pluged in, that doesn't sound like the bat.
i would probably replace the converter. (if ur handy with electronics, u may go into the converter and repair it if ur not, replace).
if you aren't blowing individual fuzes, it sounds like externally ur ok.
sounds like the problem is within that converter. what i don't know is if they use the same caple i would suspect that they would.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #9

The electrical stuff works plugged in are not. (The DC stuff) . The AC stuff works plugged in (microwave, fridge, air) . I have not tried the furnace. Only when plugged in does the breaker throw. Battery hooked up are not. I'm thinking a lightning strike are something in the past because the A.C. control switch had no low are Med. I replaced it and fixed that issue. The breaker was thrown before I replaced switch. I have not let the batt run completely down. The batt monitor just shows it to be getting weaker over the period of a few days.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Team

I'd pull the converter out and check all the wiring. It could be just a shorted wire or one got hooked up from the factory in the wrong place and it's never worked (yeah, I know that counts as shorted too ). If you still have problems, give Best Converter a try. They are very good at helping people with converter problems.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #11

If u disconnect the bat and plug into. Shore power, do the dc items still work. Lights furnace frig?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #12

Yes - the converter supplies the dc power. In fact, things like the lights run on 12V dc all the time, regardless of shore power or not.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #13

Instead of calling Best Converter, give Cheng USA Tech Support a call at
(574) 294-8997. They manufacture the WFCO converters. I had a problem with fitting a replacement board and the tech guy went way out of his way to get it fixed.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #14

Well I kept calling best converter today. The lady told me Randy was out of the office but she called him and had him call me. He seemed a bit irritated but loosened up a bit near the end of the conversation. I described my problem. He said I needed a new converter board and assured my it was simple to replace. I have yet to run upon anything I couldn't do in my 46 years so he's probably right. I'm still going to call WFCO Monday and go through the diagnostic steps to be certain. I hate that I bought a "never used" TT and am having to replace components. I guess it could have gotten a little lightning in its life setting in that metal bldg plugged in.
thanks for all the advice.
Maybe this is the problem.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Yes - the converter supplies the dc power. In fact, things like the lights run on 12V dc all the time, regardless of shore power or not.

...VTX-AL
if u know this with the battery disconnected, it sounds like the battery or the charging section. sense the converter doesn't throw the breaker until the battery it there, try a different battery and make sure of the polarity.

the bat and the converter both supply the 12v. if the converter is not working and ur plugged into shore power, the 12v still works. if u dissconnect the battery and plug into shore power and the 12v still works, ur converter section is working.

on my older trailer (84), the converter was switched in and out when u plug and unplug from shore power. the new ones are on with the battery (truned out that way on my 2002 is anyway). the switch on my converter turns the converter off...i don't think any part of it is active with the switch off. urs may not be turning off, that is why i ask abt the battery being disconnected and the shore power on. that is an easy way to prove the converter section is or is not working.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Polarity is not a (big) problem on the newer converters. There are two 40 amp fuses that blow when the polarity is reversed. Nothing works after that; but after you change out the fuses and hook the battery up correctly you should be back in business.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #17

I can completely disconnect the battery and as long as shore power is plugged in the breaker trips.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #18

looks like u've isolated it to the converter. i'm still assuming that with the battery disconnected and shore power plugged in, u didn't have dc lighting.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #19

IF you can disconnect the 12V charge wire at the converter with the shore power off & reset breaker & try it with power on again. If the breaker holes. check your wire back to the batteries & if it trip it's the converter or AC hookup to converter.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #20

Well I got to the bottom of it today. While on the phone with the WFCO tech,we decided my MBA " main board assembly " was bad. Are at least it is now. He had me switching wires around, testing this and that. Lastly I changed hot wire to another breaker. Flipped breaker and said wooop. Tech said did it throw the breaker. I said no but I let the smoke out of a capacitor. He says, you have a bad converter board. He thought that all along but wanted to be sure. I always heard as long as the smoke stays in an electronic component it will work. But if you let the smoke out it stops working. It looks like $ 150.00 that wont go to Christmas gifts.