Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #1

WFCO converter buzzing

So I have the same annoying loud buzzing coming from my converter that others have reported. Only when on shore power and no load. Turn on 40W of lights and it goes away. Turning off the AC breaker to the fridge makes it go away too (presumably the 12V load the fridge draws to run gas mode).

Now I've read this is probably a blown cap (or at least on the way out), which certainly makes sense from what little I remember from my electrical engineering classes. However I pulled the converter board and don't see any caps that look bad, although the 2 big ones I can't tell as they don't have the usual stress relief tops on them.

Point being, anyone know which cap usually goes on these things? I know from TVs and the like that it is usually always the same one that goes on a given model. Hoping that's the case here and I can replace it blindly and hope for the best. I sure don't want to replace them all for nothing though.
frEEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Not a repair for the faint of heart with "a few" classes under his belt.
Especially when there is no way for the OP to find out what caused the Cap to fail (or be ready to fail) in the first place.

I would be shopping for a new unit now to get one "on the cheap" rather than wait till you are on the road and it goes. Doing that, you will be at the mercy (none that I have seen) of the mobile Tech who shows up with a thousand dollar part and time (round trip) from his store.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

Not worried about the repair, soldering in a new cap is no big deal (done that plenty of times and doesn't require an electrical engineering degree). You're quite right about figuring out what caused it, except caps being what they are, it is all but guaranteed just to be normal wear. Caps tend to be the first thing to go on any electronics, and this is a 6 yo rental unit. It has been used alot.

That said, looking at prices on new units, barely looks worth teh effort to repair the old one! May just do it that way.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

Couldn't find any obvious bad caps. Tech support at WFCO suggested it is likely the coils in the transformer vibrating; they've seen that happen on a couple units. Guess a new board is the only option (which oddly are more $ than an entire new power center).
Old 07-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If your going to replace unit please head some advice and replace with a progressive dynamics . hook a rope to that wfco and use it as a boat anchor !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Do they actually make a unit that will bolt into the power center? Looking at the pics of their 60amp unit, it doesn't look like it.
Talked to the dealer that sold it to me today asking if they have a board in stock... they said humming is expected... not when it is damn near as loud as a person talking.

Tags
led pad