Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #1

WFCO Converter Hiss

I noticed that my WFCO Converter hissed anytime it had NO load. But turn on a light, and it was gone.

Thought it was just nature of the beast as I have read a few similar comments.

While finally doing some maintenance on the trailer, I checked the water level in the battery. It was low. I added DI water, and let it charge for a while. A few measurements & tests later, I deemed that the battery didn't suffer major damage (held a charge & was load tested).

But the odd thing is the hiss is now gone. Camped the week after Christmas, and at no time did the hiss return. Checked on the camper at the storage facility yesterday, still no hiss.

So... if you start hearing a hiss from your converter, go check the water level in your battery!
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Wow. Good tip!!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Wow. Good tip!!
ditto
yes sir
thanks, great info
Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Velly Intelesting

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #5

My RV's have always been parked at my home and plugged in. I have had problems with loosing water in the batteries. A mechanic at an RV center told me to put a timer on the converter, so that it alternated back and forth from converter to battery power. He said the batteries would last much longer. He said to start out with one hour on and one hour off. If the batteries were fine, keep lengthening the time cycle. Trouble is, you don't know when you have lengthened it too long util you boil the water out of the batteries.

Happy camping,
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #6

Converter hiss

Just a quick comment. I just bought a new tent popup the other day. When I dropped my truck off to get a new hitch put on it they were in the process of preparing my trailer for delivery. They had 120 a/c hooked up to it but no battery in it yet. The converter was hissing just like you mentioned. And the same thing, when you turned on a light, it quit. My guess is that this is normal if there is no battery load or the battery is bad. The guy at the dealership wasn't sure himself why it was doing that but from what I can gather, all WFCO converters are probably going to do this. I haven't opened the trailer up since I got it home to check to see if it's still doing it with a charged battery in place. I'll post again after I check it.
dsfenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I wish I would have seen this earlier...as I just hooked my battery back up for the season!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #8

My WFCO 55 amp converter has a funny sound omitted through the concertone speakers, that sounds like a very low base piano key being played about every 45 seconds. It only does this when the camper is plugged in to the house power. On battery power nothing. My radio was JUST replaced, and so far....(knockonwood), it is functioning properly. I don't think the radio is associated with the "piano" note noise, as the old radio did the same thing. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #9

Great thread posting, I have not any problems like that so far but if I do I know where to start looking. Now as far battery go's, it is my understanding that the battery should be filled when warm or hot not cold. If the battery is added to while cold and then there is a load on the battery for any given time, heat is generated and expansion occurs causeing the water and acid to rise and leak out from the caps on the battery. If so, one might want to remember this and keep an eye on the battery.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote