Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #1

WFCO model- WF-8955AN w/plastic

I use to hear the cooling fan running when most of the lights are on but l haven't heard it run in some time, l know its cooler weather but we keep the trailer around 72 degrees, all the lights work but they do flicker sometimes probably when the converter kicks on. Was just wondering if the cooling fan is not working or l use to hear it often?
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

Hearing tested lately? I think its because of the cooler weather. It's cold in them there cabinits.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Hearing tested lately? I think its because of the cooler weather. It's cold in them there cabinits.
You are probably right Cavie, it is cool in there, l try to keep everything maintenanced, l check and tighten all connections in the panel box once a year. Not trying to find something wrong but know that the cooling fan needs to work if needed to keep the converter working properly, Thanks.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Team

It's most likely cool enough that the fan isn't needed to keep the heat sink cool under load.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's most likely cool enough that the fan isn't needed to keep the heat sink cool under load.
Thanks Bama
Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #6

Most WFCO converters switch the fan based on the 12 volt load. Try this: Have someone operate the electric tongue jack while you stay near the converter. If the fan kicks on you should be good-to-go.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Most WFCO converters switch the fan based on the 12 volt load. Try this: Have someone operate the electric tongue jack while you stay near the converter. If the fan kicks on you should be good-to-go.
Our trailer doesn't have an electric tongue jack, but l did turn all the lights on which normally draws enough current to kick the fan on, it may be as the post have said it may be just not hot enough. I read earlier on the internet that you could take a blow dryer and test the fan sensor by blowing hot air in the converter compartment, l have not tried that.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

You could have all the lights on, turn up the furnace, turn on the vent fan, have someone run a slide in/out or extend/retract an awning. That should be enough draw to force the cooling fan on.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

My cooling fan tends to run when the battery is charging. If the battery is full, I don't hear it run very often. My hunch is that if you're connected to shore power more or less continuously, the battery will always be full.

Meanwhile, AC loads don't require a cooling fan. Your breaker box at home doesn't have a cooling fan. When on shore power, the fridge is running on 120 volts. 12 volt loads will be limited to lights, furnace, spark ignition for the hot water heater, parasitic loads (e.g. CO/LP detector) and the water pump. If you're also on shore water, no pump. That's not a lot of drain on the battery, and it's the stepdown conversion from 120 volts to 12 volts and the charger demand that would cause heat buildup in the converter. 120 volt loads just pass through unnoticed unless a circuit is overloaded.

Again, just a hunch. But since I installed solar on my rig, the fan seldom runs when I plug into shore power and even when I turn on the fridge (120 power) to cool it in prep for a trip. After a day of sunshine, I will run the genny to run our microwave and coffee pot...no fan. In the morning, after a night of heavy loads on the battery, the fan comes on as soon as I connect the generator.

Let the battery drain, or as Scrapper says, turn on all 12 volt loads, and if the fan runs at all. If so, you know your fan - and it's thermostatic sensor - are good.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #10

I called the manufacturer of WFCO converters, l was told that all the WFCO converters cooling fan comes on under load only, also there is a safety feature built in if it is not working properly it will shut down. The Rep. said Load could vary for multiple reasons that all was 👌. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #11

Shutdown meaning the Converter Unit would stop for safety purposes.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #12

If all that's running is the furnace and a few LED lights there's a good chance there isn't enough load to cause the fan to come on.

When I'm watching TV with Stereo on (playing a DVD), have a couple lights running, and the furnace kicks on, the load doesn't exceed 10 amp which, if I recall correctly, is the threshold for turning on the converter's fan.

I've changed out my WFCO 8955 converter for a PD9260 so I don't even give things like this any thought anymore.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #13

Replaced old main board with new one and it fixed the problem.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I've changed out my WFCO 8955 converter for a PD9260 so I don't even give things like this any thought anymore.
X2 on this!!!!! And the battery should last longer too (proper charging).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wfco