Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
B47

What happens if ...?

I have waited long enough and I am going to buy a 50 amp surge protector before our next trip.

One simple question - what would happen if you have a portable surge protector plugged into the TT and the power cord and a power surge occurs. Would the power cord be damaged if this occurs?

My reasoning is that it might because the surge protector would only sense a surge after it left the power pole traveling though the cord and shut down before it entered the TT. I don't think the cord would/could be damaged if the surge protector was installed beteen the power pole and the TT.

Don't misunderstand - I certainly will take a damaged power cord before frying my TT electronics, but I was just wondering.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

power cord will be fine !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
f1100turbo - thanks.

Well I went to CW today and brought a Surge Guard 34750 (50 amp) Portable Surge Protector. It was on sale for $336.99 (regular $449.99). I decided to quit taking chances without one. Our only trips so far in the FW have been to CG in Texas. But we are going from Texas to upstate NY later this month and decided it was worth the money.

It is heavier than I thought it would be, but it seems well built and the instructions seem to be well written. I used the input from all the posters here regarding these devices and think I made the right decision purchasing this one.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Times two. It takes a fair amount of time at high current to damage that cord. A voltage spike can destroy your electronics in microseconds.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Times two. It takes a fair amount of time at high current to damage that cord. A voltage spike can destroy your electronics in microseconds.
herk - thanks. While I understand the basics of electriciy, I figured that the voltage surge would follow the power cord when the surge protector is located next to the TT.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

excuse me, but don't you plug the surge protector into the power source AND THEN PLUG YUR TT power cord into the protector????
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
excuse me, but don't you plug the surge protector into the power source AND THEN PLUG YUR TT power cord into the protector????
As far as I know you can plug the SP into either the TT or the power pole. Maybe I am wrong here, but no one has told me otherwise. I am not at the TT to try yet. If I am wrong and you are correct then I guess it is not an issue.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Normally, the surge suppressor is plugged into the pedestal because it uses the normal RV plugs (male on one end female on the other).

Electrically speaking it does not matter where inline it is located; as long as it comes before the electronics you are trying to protect.

In my camper, I have a 90 degree pigtail (so the strain on the connection is straight down) and the suppressor can be attached there if you wanted. In my case it goes at the pedestal because that is the easiest (no plug changes needed).

They can also be hardwired INSIDE the camper, just as long as it is located right where the cord comes into the trailer.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Normally, the surge suppressor is plugged into the pedestal because it uses the normal RV plugs (male on one end female on the other).

Electrically speaking it does not matter where inline it is located; as long as it comes before the electronics you are trying to protect.

In my camper, I have a 90 degree pigtail (so the strain on the connection is straight down) and the suppressor can be attached there if you wanted. In my case it goes at the pedestal because that is the easiest (no plug changes needed).

They can also be hardwired INSIDE the camper, just as long as it is located right where the cord comes into the trailer.
herk - your second paragraph sums up the reason for my asking this question to begin with. So I guess from what you are saying that with the correct adapters the SP can be plugged into either the TT or the power pole.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
herk - your second paragraph sums up the reason for my asking this question to begin with. So I guess from what you are saying that with the correct adapters the SP can be plugged into either the TT or the power pole.
That is correct, Anthony.