Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

What happens with 15-amp?

While searching for a campground in New Hampshire, I noticed that one state park furnished 15-amp electricity hookups. Is that sufficient to run all appliances except the air conditioner? And what kind of connector does it take, a regular 30-amp connector, or a three-prong household connector? Or something entirely different? I'm not sure how I would be able to connect. Anyone have any experience with this type of amperage?
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Team

These links may help and the first one does explain connecting to a 15 amp outlet:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

You would need an adapter to connect a TT-30P to a 15 amp outlet. A lot of dealers throw these in when you purchase a new RV, so you can plug your RV in at your house.

You can find these at about any RV store, amazon, or even Wally World in the RV section.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-5516...emale/42643180

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #3

You will need an adapter from 30 to 15 amp. You will be able to run only one high amperage thing at a time. For example electric coffee pot and microwave wont work at the same time. A/C may run if nothing else is on.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

Thanks!

Thanks, folks! I have the adapter; just didn't know what to expect at the campground. The lack of sufficient amperage shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll just do without air conditioning, which shouldn't matter much in New Hampshire.
DBigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

You'll need the adapter.

When I'm at home, I leave my Mirada plugged into a 15 amp (20 amp) circuit, mainly to keep the batteries charged.

When plugged into the low current, just remember no high current items can be operated simultaneously. i.e. I can make coffee, but cant run the microwave or the AC at the same time.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Adapters are something everyone should carry.

Once in Florida our planned campground was flooded and we needed to stay in the KOA's overflow area. A 15 amp socket next to their sign was our only source of power.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #7

As Herk said, keep various adapters on hand.
I have 30 amp service on the rig and got 15, 30 and 50 amp adapters to use.
You never know what you will find for yourself and someone nearby might need it.
So sayeth Mr. Murphy.

And if I ever catch that booger...

A number of years ago we were staying in a campground and the fellow next to us comes over and asks if I know anything about RV power issues. He said when he ran the AC and the wife used the microwave at the same time he would trip the power pedestal breaker. OK... Look at the pedestal and right away notice something a little strange. He was plugged into a 20 amp circuit with a 30 amp cord. No problem if he was using an adapter as noted above. The problem was someone had removed the 30 amp connector from his cord and put a 15 amp connector on instead. The bigger problem? It was a brand new rig and his maiden voyage. Was like that from the dealer. Explained the facts of using 15 amp power and one big thing at a time and surviving. He was OK with that and glad for the help, not so happy with his dealer...

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote