Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

What is involved in moving this electrical component off the floor of my Leprachaun?

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Motorhomes section, but I assume someone will move it if it does not belong here.

Removed the dinette from our 2018 Leprechaun 210RS with the idea of putting in something that you could actually sit in for an evening without feeling like you'd been tortured on the rack for a week. Found this under the seating. I assume it runs from the generator to somewhere and I can't imagine why it needed to be put on the floor of the RV about 16 inches from the wall.

Questions:

1. Exactly what the heck is it and what purpose does it serve except to get in the way of whatever else I may want to do with the space?

2. Can it be moved to someplace that actually makes sense, perhaps either right against the wall or, better yet, under the floor?

3. What is involved to moving it? Is it something an amateur electrician wants to take on or should I find someone to do it, and if find someone, should I find an RV repair person or will a good household electrician do?

4. What is the gunk they used to seal the openings? I assume just a clear silicon caulk, but does anyone actually know?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190224_195214_1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	197523  
Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #2

It is an electric junction box. Both are flexible conduit. I guessing this is in your slide. Any electrician can move it. Yes it can be installed under the floor providing there is clearance for the box which I assume there is not to allow the slide to move in and out. It is where it is because it was hidden and out of the way before you got it. As for where it can be moved to will be up to and experience electrician depending on where you wish to relocate it. Can't extend wires without a j-box. it looks to be 120 vote wiring. One side could be put against the wall but the others side will need to extended from where it came from.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks, Cavie. Yes, I was aware it was a junction box, I was more wondering what purpose this particular junction box was serving in this installation, not that it matters all that much. It is not in the slide, only slide is the bedroom, and since I can look down through one of the holes and see the ground, I assume there is probably room down there. Thank you again for your input.

Tags
electric, electrical, floor