Old 04-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #21
txkreddog

Ours also has the red+ white-. I couldn't remember for certain which was which when installing the battery after de-winterizing. Called the dealer to be sure, now I have a strip of black electrical tape around the negative cable just below the battery connection.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunclubchamp View Post
That's it exactly! The red one! What is that called. I need a new one. Thank you so much!
G, I wonder how you know you need a new one? Especially since you don't know positive from negative. It makes me skeptical. I say that in the nicest way! I would check it for you, if we lived close by.

But, if you really do need a new one. First, read the side and order that same ampere rated breaker. I have seen them from 5 to 50 amps. And order the same size.

It is my understanding that they automatically reset, but I had one on a boat that had a manual reset that had to be pushed in (on the side of it).

The negative side of the battery should run directly to the frame and should be disconnected FIRST at the battery end before working on or replacing this breaker.

The corrosion you mentioned is more than likely the cable ends that might need to be replaced / remade.

You will also notice the breaker has a copper and a silver colored terminal, the battery ties down on the copper side and the load (aux) ties down on the silver.

WW

The Series 12X Shortstop Circuit Breakers feature an auto, manual and modified reset and is a single pole thermal type breaker.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #23
TnT

An other thing that wasn't mentioned make sure the trailer is powered down or the the converter will still be providing power.

2016 F350 Dually
2014 Spartan 1032
2010 F250 it went to a new owner
2008 Harley Road Glide
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #24

Always disconnect the negative side first unless it is positive ground which is rare. I made my living working electronics and I know of no reason to disconnect the positive side first other than the one mentioned.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #25

I always disconnect the negative lead first but, as extra insurance, I never use a wrench on the nut that tightens a wire to a battery. I use a socket and a composite socket driver from Harbor Freight Tools. The only exposed metal on these drivers is the square end that fits into the socket. No metal = no accidental shorts.

Phil
Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That is completely opposite from everything I learned over the years building and racing cars. When removing the positive lead first, there is a high risk of the wrench contacting metal near the battery. If the negative lead is still connected to the battery, this will cause a short. Same goes for installing the positive lead last when re-connecting the battery. IMO, it is always safer removing the negative lead first.
When making a post, the one thing that one doesn't want to do is give misinformation. And in this case, that is exactly what I did. Sorry, folks.
What I wrote and what I do is totally opposite. I remove and replace batteries an average of 14 times a year and pull the negative first.

If the moderator can delete the post that is an obvious error, it would be appreciated. It would be a suggestion that a member be able to go back and correct a post at any time.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
When making a post, the one thing that one doesn't want to do is give misinformation. And in this case, that is exactly what I did. Sorry, folks.
What I wrote and what I do is totally opposite. I remove and replace batteries an average of 14 times a year and pull the negative first.

If the moderator can delete the post that is an obvious error, it would be appreciated. It would be a suggestion that a member be able to go back and correct a post at any time.
PenJoe, I cannot delete it without then having to edit all the following posts that quoted it. I did however, add a note to that post, explaining it that should suffice. Without getting into a total topic hijack here, that is one of the reasons we allow only a limited amount of time to edit your own post. If it stayed open for indefinite editing purposes, then it would play havoc with trying to follow long threads, that have a lot of quoted posts. If the member changed their previous post, then the quoted posts would make no sense and mess up continuity.

Another reason for limited time editings has to do with spammers. A spammer could post an innocent enough looking post, then go back later and add spam links and such.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #28

Battery disconnect

According to the us army . While disconnecting battery leads on the m60 series tank . Always disconnect the negative side of the 24v system . This is especially important if the tank is combat loaded . Main gun round are fired when 24 v hit the primer . Therefore always disconnect - side first and connect last
Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Briar View Post
Always disconnect the negative side first unless it is positive ground which is rare. I made my living working electronics and I know of no reason to disconnect the positive side first other than the one mentioned.
This is the Air Force way as well as the Army way.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, frame