Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

What is this part?

I just got a new used trailer. A Roo 25rs and it has a connection on the negative terminal of the battery and I'm not sure what it is. In the pic it is the green connector and there is a jumper wire with a fuse (fuse is missing) bypassing this device. My last trailer did not have this and just want to know what it is for. Any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	36959  
Rooer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #2

The green knob is a battery disconnect. Turn it loose to the left to disconnect. You do not need tools to disconnect when your TT is not being used.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

So that jumper wire is to power something when the battery is disconnected?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

That fused wire is suppose to allow small voltage to the vehicle so that radio stations are kept in memory, etc. The fuse will blow if you try and use the starter so it's not really needed in your situation as you want to disconnect all voltage to your TT when in storage.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #5

Makes sense, thanks!
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooer View Post
So that jumper wire is to power something when the battery is disconnected?
I'm not sure I'm seeing it clearly. All the wires I'm noticing are downline of the disconnect, and would not have power if you unscrew the green battery disconnect.

Is the other end of wire with the missing fuse connected to the battery post (kind of in the shadow of the picture)

I hate this computer monitor of mine as it's darker and harder to see things clearly.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'm not sure I'm seeing it clearly. All the wires I'm noticing are downline of the disconnect, and would not have power if you unscrew the green battery disconnect.

Is the other end of wire with the missing fuse connected to the battery post (kind of in the shadow of the picture)

I hate this computer monitor of mine as it's darker and harder to see things clearly.
I'm not sure if it is connected to the post either as it is in the shadow. I have one of these on my Mustang. In an automotive situation that wire is connected on both ends of the disconnect to power radio memory, alarm, etc. If someone tries to use the starter the fuse will blow and all power will be disconnected from the battery. In the OP's situation he does not need the fused wire at all.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #8

Yes it is connected to the other side of the post (in the shadow). I'm just trying to sort it all out. You can also barely see the ground from the breakaway trailer brakes in the shadow as well. The confusing part is that all this is on the negative treminal and when I disconnected the knob I still had power in the trailer until I removed the positive terminal too.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes it is connected to the other side of the post (in the shadow). I'm just trying to sort it all out. You can also barely see the ground from the breakaway trailer brakes in the shadow as well. The confusing part is that all this is on the negative treminal and when I disconnected the knob I still had power in the trailer until I removed the positive terminal too.
Remove that fused line, you do not need it. Then the knob will disconnect for you and you won't need to remove the positive terminal.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #10

IMO: The disconnect is on the wrong battery terminal, this is why you still have some power in the unit.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
IMO: The disconnect is on the wrong battery terminal, this is why you still have some power in the unit.
Believe me, its the fused line. The low amp fuse is still powering the CO2 detector and radio stand-by in his TT. I have this installed in my Mustang. I do not have the fused line installed as the alarm will drain the battery over time. Mine is installed on the negative terminal. I just turn the knob counter-clockwise to disconnect.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
there is a jumper wire with a fuse (fuse is missing) bypassing this device.
Is the fuse always missing, or did you take it out?

As long as the fuse is out, that bypass wire should be isolated from the battery negative terminal also.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Is the fuse always missing, or did you take it out?

As long as the fuse is out, that bypass wire should be shut off from the battery negative terminal also.
To me it looks like the fuse is in and the cover has been popped. And wmtire is right, pulling the fuse would be the same as removing the wire.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #14

There was still power with fuse out so next time I get the trailer out of storage I am going to start from scratch and try to clean up the previous owner's modifications.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #15

When I look at your picture, I can see two others wires connected on the other side of battery post which would not be disconnected by battery disconnect. So that is why you still have power to trailer......probably battery ground.....battery disconnect can be on either post, does not make a difference if wired correctly.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote