Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 12:29 AM   #1

What kind of electrical cord do I need?

We just brought a Shamrock hybrid. What kind of electrical cord do I need for set up? Just a regular extension cord? Also do I just need a adapter for the end? Sorry kinda new at this.
Thanks everyone
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:39 AM   #2

You've probably got a 30A cord on the trailer. Most campgrounds will have 30A service with nothing else needed. If you want to plug it in at the house, unless you install a 30A receptacle, you'll need a 15A adapter that you can pick up a Wal Mart in the RV section. It's a good idea to take one of those with you when you go anywhere, just in case. You can plug your 110V into 15A with no problem and run lights, tv, radio, etc, but you'll probably end up tripping a breaker if you try to run the A/C or microwave and just about anything else at the same time. I recommend a heavy duty extension cord if you have to use one to keep the heat down.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Incheon, S. Korea

It depends on how long of a cord you are going to use. The No~Shock~Zone part-XI-extension-cords by Mike Sokol has some great info on cords and all things RV-electrical.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

25 foot 30 AMP RV extension combined with the cord on your Shamrock hybrid should be plenty. Always make sure you're electric cord and water hose will reach connections before you unhook. Like raspivey said get a 15 Amp adapter too just in case. If you're buying new that 15 AMP adapter might be included in the dealers start up kit.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
Site Team

I have a "30 amp to 50 amp " adapter as well. Had to use it a few times last year.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
I have a "30 amp to 50 amp " adapter as well. Had to use it a few times last year.
This is a bit more dangerous...I would only assume you have an internal circuit breaker to protect the wiring...but...plugging a 30 amp cord into a 50 amp outlet can possibly overload your service. If you pull 40 amps through a 30 amp plug for a long enough time, you will burn something up.

If you do this, just take care not to overload anything!
jamurrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurrin View Post
This is a bit more dangerous...I would only assume you have an internal circuit breaker to protect the wiring...but...plugging a 30 amp cord into a 50 amp outlet can possibly overload your service. If you pull 40 amps through a 30 amp plug for a long enough time, you will burn something up.

The main breaker in our panel (and I would assume in any camper with a 30A service) is 30 amps. Unless it malfunctions, you can't pull over 30 amps even if hooked to a 50A post.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...g6VXecFP3GO1wA
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:

Things can always happen, but most likely won't. Plus the main breaker in a trailer is going to be the limiting factor, besides the fact that it's only setup to pull 30 amps. Heck on the other side of a 50 amp or 30 amp breaker there is usually 200 amps with a 200 amp breaker. (Some cg maybe more, or even 80 amp or 100 amp. My house plugs are 50, with 50 breaker on a 200amp panel.)

We always used 50 amp service with our last camper that was a 30 amp. We just used the 50-30 adapter, then surge protector and we never had a problem. Actually I think it was better because we had less strain on appliances because of being able to have 30 real amps at the breaker box, instead of less from a wore out 30 amp breaker and several connection.
Its all up to you, but it's actually safe.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical