Old 04-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

What size battery cable?

I'm setting up my dual-battery system. I have 2 Deka DC-27 batteries in trolling motor cases with external posts and will have a smaller empty box between them. A BlueSea A/B switch will be mounted on the smaller box with the house cable going to it, and equal length cables going to the external posts on the batteries.

By facing one fore and the other aft I can minimize the length of the cable from the switch to the battery, while keeping them the same length.

What size (gauge) cable should I use? 6?

Thanks

- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:42 AM   #2

As large as you can reasonably afford. 0 to 2/0 is generally what I choose to do for even the shortest runs. You didn't mention the actual lengths.

I might be a little confused... but from how I read your post it sounds like you are going to be wiring your batteries using the external post? Is that correct?

You also mentioned an A/B switch.. but I'm thinking you are actually referring to a disconnect.. as opposed to switching between batteries in your bank.. right? Or am I wrong?

If it IS a disconnect that you meant I'm curious why you would want to mount it in between your two batteries (increasing the wiring distances). Or.. I guess that would depend on if your batteries are laying end to end or side to side... For some reason I have them pictured end to end(?).

Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

It's a disconnect, as recommended in correspondence on this site. It allows select 1, 2, or both.

When not using my trailer the batteries will serve another purpose. That's why I chose battery boxes that have external posts.

The space available on the tongue led me to the end-to-end arrangement. I hadn't considered side-to-side and haven't built the rack yet, but I don't think that will fit. I'll evaluate that possibility.

The box in the middle minimizes the distance from the switch to the battery post. It has a snap-on top and will also serve as a storage box. I'll mount that box permanently to the rack. The others will be removed after each trip for storage (and use) at home.

The new batteries are a matched pair of group 27 deep cycles. The original is a group 24 dual purpose. Most trips don't involve dry camping. If I can't sell the G24 I may carry it, alone.

The switch makes that easy. It also allows using and charging a mixed pair without burning out the smaller one. That was the original plan.

I later decided to buy the second new battery for long-term maintenance reasons. Left on a continuous charger at home, together, it seems that a matched pair requires less attention than a mixed pair, to avoid potential damage. It also gets me greater capacity between charges for longer dry-camping trips.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery