Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

What the heck is with this electrical/lighting problem?

GO TO TUrn on the light above my couch (not halogen) in my new 365saqb sierra and not work(its one with 2 bulbs and a push in type switch)and the light did not work, look at bulbs and both burned out and BLACK!! put in new bulbs,,,,not work,,,,,,check fuses, they all are good. pulled down the light and checked the wires all look fine-all attached and not scorched or anything. What could have happened? everything else works fine in the rv. Could it be the switch in the light? And whats with the red lamps in the fuse box? when you pull the fuse on some of them a red lamp comes on that looks like its to tell you you have a "dissconnect" (bad fuse), some of the red lights come on when you pull the fuse and some do not??? but all is working??? anyone here have any ideas?
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

There is most likely a wall switch that has to be on for the the light to have power. Once the the wall switch is turned on you can control the light with the internal switch.
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #3

hey gaff, thanks alot but there is no other switch for for this light, only the one on the light itself.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #4

Are you sure. It may be the same switch that controls other lights in the camper. If not you need a volt meter to check for voltage at the light/switch. If you have 12 volts, then it's the switch or the light.
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Wish there was a switch. im praying there is power so i will know its the switch or both the sockets, not the wires in the ceiling.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #6

First, grab a meter and check for power at the lamp leads.

Sent by me
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #7

Can't comment on the light issue but the red lights in the fuse box is to make it easy when looking for blown\bad fuses. Makes it easy to see the culprit.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Thanks Helmsley. none of the red lights are on now so I checked every fuse individually to be sure. But also wonder why when pull fuse on some of them the red light comes on like fuse is blowen and on some it does not light up when you pull the fuse????
Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

DO you have circuit breaker switches in the electrical panel also? It's possible a breaker is tripped and it may be supplying power to the fused areas also. I don't think this would be the case but who knows. If it is wired that way and you pull a fuse connected to a tripped breaker the light may not come on. I do have one light in my camper that is controlled by a wall switch and on the light itself. If you turn off the wall switch the light will not operate. My switch is located right inside the door beside the outside light switch.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #10

Ok guys...what the hell. The bulbs that both blew out and turned black were dec 1295s, lable in fixture says use ONLY 1141 or 1156 or 1295. The 1295 is a single pole bulb. when I put a double pole 1157 it will work or a single pole 12v15cp it works. It must just be I was tryng to test with the double pole bulb from the other light over the dining table, a double 1076. This fixture needs a single pole bulb. I will go buy some 1141 or 1156 or new 1295 and see what happens. I guess i was just over thinking this, but still wonder why both bulbs blew like that. i know there is power cause the other bulbs light up as i said above.

Tags
electrical, light, electric