Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #1

When should I switch off the 12-volt switch?

After about 18 months of use on a 2012 Sunseeker 2300, I had to have the power converter replaced. I noticed the new converter makes an audible fan noise when the switch is on and is quiet when it is off. When plugged in, everything inside the RV works with the switch in either position. When unplugged, obviously, the interior electrics are all off.

My questions here is should I have always switched that 12-volt switch to the off position when plugged in to shore power? I had always left it in the on position and was wondering if that was what may have caused it to fail. Also, do the batteries charge when in the off position?

When I got my brief new unit orientation I was told that was only switched off for long term storage to prevent the batteries from draining. I store my RV beside my garage when not in use and have a power source there, therefore, keep it plugged in when not in use.

Any insight into how my coach electrics work would be welcomed. I'd like to avoid future failures, if possible, especially if this one could have been caused by my ignorance.
nights camped 2011: 42
nights camped 2012: 48
nights camped 2013: 40
janegraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

I'm new to the site here but a long time rv'er. I'm sure others will chime in and correct me if/where I'm wrong.

While parked at home, once your batteries are charged, turn the 12v switch off and leave your trailer plugged in (if you want to power stuff). 99% of rv's do not have "smart" battery chargers. Meaning they will just ram 14+ volts at the battery all the time, even after charged. So eventually the water (acid) bakes out, the plates go dry, and your battery is wasted.

I have 6 yr old 6 volts in my 2007 37sp. I don't store the trailer with the batteries on (12v switched on from them batteries). Both batteries are still going strong!
my07sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

When I first started RVing, I turned the battery OFF when connected to shore power. I had to replace a converter for THAT reason.

I think this is a "six of one, half dozen of other" thing.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by janegraves View Post
After about 18 months of use on a 2012 Sunseeker 2300, I had to have the power converter replaced. I noticed the new converter makes an audible fan noise when the switch is on and is quiet when it is off. When plugged in, everything inside the RV works with the switch in either position. When unplugged, obviously, the interior electrics are all off.

My questions here is should I have always switched that 12-volt switch to the off position when plugged in to shore power? I had always left it in the on position and was wondering if that was what may have caused it to fail. Also, do the batteries charge when in the off position?

When I got my brief new unit orientation I was told that was only switched off for long term storage to prevent the batteries from draining. I store my RV beside my garage when not in use and have a power source there, therefore, keep it plugged in when not in use.

Any insight into how my coach electrics work would be welcomed. I'd like to avoid future failures, if possible, especially if this one could have been caused by my ignorance.
Converters do not produce straight line 13+ DC volts. There will always be a ripple in the output because AC produces the 12 volts. By leaving the switch on while powered by AC, the battery with much more amp capacity will "smooth" out the AC ripple and provide near perfect DC power with the AC providing the energy. You must maintain proper water levels in the battery when long time use, and periodically. Your electronics including the reefer and heater will last longer.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Coachmen Adrenaline

Needs to be ON for batteries to charge.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote