Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

where to buy solar

I've convinced myself to install 300 watts myself, lord I've read enough, and watched enough Youtube about it to write my own book!

Now where to buy it?

I'd like to use a brick/mortar store or reliable source on line. I've seen the offerings on Amazon (some support) and fleabay (no support). Who has purchased from someone that they had a good experience with and who to avoid?

TIA,
Nayther
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

It's doubtful you're going to walk into any store and simply buy a solar package, although some like HD and HF might have a few smaller setups... your best bet is to research and do your homework online, order, and install....I'm not sure that any 'support' or such is going to make any difference - they don't know any more about solar than you probably do.

There are many that sell packages that come with one, two, or several panels, wiring, connectors, controller, and the like...makes it easy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

https://www.renogy.com/
Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post

Thanks,

That's what I was looking for. Definitely more money than the other sources though. At least this will give me some piece of mind for support should the need arise.

And they're in Ontario, CA. About 15 miles from my office!

ordered the 300 watt premium kit! Looks like I know what I'm doing next weekend!
Old 08-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

I bought some panels and equipment from Renogy with good results. I had a bad experience with Windy Nation. Be careful about buying Chinese knockoffs of good solar chargers. If the price is too good to be true, it is probablly a fake.
ppine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
I had great results with Craigslist and Northern Arizona Wind and Solar. (NAWS)
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

200W panels for $185. Made in the USA vs China for Renogy. Get a Victron solar controller.

https://www.continuousresources.com/...s-and-hardware

https://www.continuousresources.com/...ge-controllers

Way better than buying those kits on Amazon.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #8

Call Penny Solar in AZ, we used them, excellent service help with install as far as walking us through it.No issue's 2 yrs running.
Flapjackdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
200W panels for $185. Made in the USA vs China for Renogy. Get a Victron solar controller.

https://www.continuousresources.com/...s-and-hardware

https://www.continuousresources.com/...ge-controllers

Way better than buying those kits on Amazon.

Sounds good for sure. However, the company you referenced is based in a 1300 sq foot residence in Price, UT.

Product may be guaranteed for 25 years but how long is the company "guaranteed" to be in business? The answer may be of more interest if they read this first:

https://www.deseret.com/2019/4/29/20...-united-states

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sounds good for sure. However, the company you referenced is based in a 1300 sq foot residence in Price, UT.

Product may be guaranteed for 25 years but how long is the company "guaranteed" to be in business? The answer may be of more interest if they read this first:

https://www.deseret.com/2019/4/29/20...-united-states
The panels are not made there. He just sells them. Matt is the owner of this company. Awesome guy. It is also where I bought my Battleborn batteries and all my Victron stuff. Unlike some vendors on Amazon, he is actually an authorized Victron dealer.

If you go on solar blogs and on the Facebook solar pages, the Hitec panels are the most popular panels to buy new these days.

This is the owner:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-dalley-1b740bb7/

We corresponded many times over email. Has given me some great prices on gear and ships very fast.

You can also get the panels right now on eBay. 2 of the 200W for $320
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-200-Watt-...wAAOSwwZtacRkO
This guy is the owner of HiTec
Old 08-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
The panels are not made there. He just sells them.
Further reading this afternoon also indicated that one Chinese solar panel manufacturer is now building panels in this country so they can qualify for "Buy American" regulations and avoid solar tariff's. Only three other American manufacturers but "so many different "brand names".

This begs the question "Just what is the difference between a Chinese solar panel and an American solar panel. Probably the same as with a Japanese Honda and an American Honda although the Japanese Honda has the steering wheel on the wrong side.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #12

I think its kinda crazy to put up multiple 100W solar panels when you can put up larger 200W panels and have half the wiring. In addition, the Renogy panels are fairly low voltage(16V-18V) so if you use an MPPT you pretty much must wire them in series which I would do anyway.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:27 PM   #13

I bought the Renogy panels and charge controller (which I'm very happy with). I ordered all the cables, fuses and connectors from various other providers on Amazon and I probably saved $150. Just another option...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I've convinced myself to install 300 watts myself, lord I've read enough, and watched enough Youtube about it to write my own book!

Now where to buy it?

I'd like to use a brick/mortar store or reliable source on line. I've seen the offerings on Amazon (some support) and fleabay (no support). Who has purchased from someone that they had a good experience with and who to avoid?

TIA,
Nayther

Easy. WindyNation.com. Sticks and bricks if you are near Ventura, ca. Otherwise they ship to the lower 48 for free.

Renogy.com live in Ontario, Calif. Or free shipping to lower 48.

We, a buddy and I, have installed 7 systems from WN for ourselves and friends and now since Renogy has started with competitively priced packages. We have installed a couple of these. We recommend either, but favor the Epever, MPPT CONTROLLER, from Amazon or other online IF you plan to go over 400 watts.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #15
Aging Junior Member

AM Solar, Springfield, OR - They have have a great website, detailed DIY instructions and experienced technicians you can actually speak with on the phone. I've used them with both of my rigs and highly recommend them. Enjoy.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #16

I pulled the trigger with Renogy. There was a question on where to ship it and they actucally CALLED ME ON THE PHONE! I spoke to a REAL PERSON! That alone makes me fell better. Should have the kit today.

Went home and found the wires from the roof, they are actually connected to the bus bar, meaning there are hot 12 volt wires on the roof! Not sure how they left the wires inside the roof jack but kind of concerned since there's no fuse or breaker on these wires. Thought I'd find the hot wire coiled up near the bus/battery but not the case.

All that being said I only see the panel mounting as an kind of difficulty, everything else is right where it needs to be and should be pretty easy.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Went home and found the wires from the roof, they are actually connected to the bus bar, meaning there are hot 12 volt wires on the roof! Not sure how they left the wires inside the roof jack but kind of concerned since there's no fuse or breaker on these wires. Thought I'd find the hot wire coiled up near the bus/battery but not the case.
That's very strange since the PV panel wires never get connected to the battery.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #18

Quote:
That's very strange since the PV panel wires never get connected to the battery.

they're "thinking" is that you're going to install "Go Power" controller on the wall next to the main system touch pad (that does virtually nothing) so you'd cut the wires from the roof to that location, then connect charge controller there. I'm putting controller near the batteries in the pass through (nice short runs). I'm going to check continuity first though to make sure the wires are continuous from roof to bus. If they are then the install is super easy; only actual panel mounting will be time consuming, electrical will only take a few minutes.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:33 PM   #19

Quote:
they're "thinking" is that you're going to install "Go Power" controller on the wall next to the main system touch pad (that does virtually nothing) so you'd cut the wires from the roof to that location, then connect charge controller there. I'm putting controller near the batteries in the pass through (nice short runs). I'm going to check continuity first though to make sure the wires are continuous from roof to bus. If they are then the install is super easy; only actual panel mounting will be time consuming, electrical will only take a few minutes.
Make sure you install appropriate breakers/fuses between panels and controller and controller to battery.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Make sure you install appropriate breakers/fuses between panels and controller and controller to battery.

Yes indeed, bought fuse for between batteries and controller and in line protection at the panels, think I've got it covered.

Tags
solar