Old 03-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
Which color where?

Hi, long time lurker and brand new owner of a 2013 Coachmen Clipper 17BH. I have battery question, as the leads in this trailer are a tad confusing, as I discovered when I went to hook up a battery.

As you can see from my picture, I have a white and a pink lead. The white is much thicker and has a red conenector, while the pink has a yellow connector. I tried in vain to trace them with no success.

I'm guessing the white is the positive, but when I tested the lights, there was no power. I do know the battery is charged, I found out the hard way. I decided to dc the leads and ask the forum for advice. The lights work off the TV and land power.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	48277  

Mastermason32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Camper electrical system is negative ground, same as an auto. Check which lead is grounded to the will be close to the battery.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Something isn't right. One wire looks like a #12 and the other a #8. I'll bet one wire was replace with what was on hand. You might want to consider replacing the smaller wire with a #8. Remember that voltage loss is a real problem in 12 volt systems. Larger wire = less loss. Oh get yourself a meter too.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
might be another ground laying around. Sometimes the power jack or other accessory is grounded to the battery leaving you with 2 ground connections. I would look for another one coming off the frame.
David & Lynn
2014 Coachmen Chaparral Signature 327 RLKS
2016 Ford F350 Lariat CC Dually
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
I had similar thoughts to all of you and the funny part is I can't trace the wires easily. Crawled underneath to trace them and both disappeared inside, with neither attached to the frame. I ran out of time and thought I would post for what I hoped was an easy answer. Guess I have to crawl around some more....
Old 03-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
Typically,the white wire is the ground wire and the pink(possibly a faded red wire)would be positive.An ohm meter may help with identifying which wire is the negative(ground)wire.once you have it hooked up correctly,wrap some black tape around the neg wire and if you can find some,red tape around the pos wire.
2012 Palomino Ultralite T245
2004 F250 Supercab 5.4L
09 Grizzly 700 EPS
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Mod free 5er
Could also be that the real ground is laying somewhere and the two whites are positive. Ohm meter best way to find out.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #8
Fox and Hound, easy way to trace wire!
Attached Images
2011 Puma Unleashed 365 QLB
2006 GMC HD Sierra SLT quad cab 4x4 6.6L LBZ Allison tranny
2008 Arctic Cat Prowler 650 H1
2006 Polaris H.O. 500EFI Sportsman
1996 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
jlbreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
Denver, CO
ANY multimeter with an OHM scale will do it. Just disconnect the wires, put one lead of your ohm meter on the frame (may need to scratch the paint or find a good contact spot. One of those leads should show no resistance, that is the negative. I am betting on the white wire and hope you didn't blow a fuse hooked up in reverse.

Marine wiring now has the 12 volt ground wire yellow and the positive red to avoid confusion with the black hot wire.
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #10

OK, finally discovered that the tech I talked to at the dealer was wrong. Simply called Coachmen Service and they told me the white, thicker wire is the ground. I switched it and had no joy. Checked my breaker and the breaker was fine. Coachmen service informed me that I have an inline battery fuse as well and that blew.

Very happy with Coachmen, less so with the dealer's tech. I called back to the dealer and spoke to another tech who informed me that it is common for the white to be the ground in trailers and not to worry about the other color for the positive.

Thanks to the community for responding- great people here! Hope to be active.