Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Well, not slamming you but your statement shows that you don't know how the RV Industry works.
Don't make the mistake of thinking they work like other industries, like the Auto industry.

Also, FR has many divisions and brands that often do things differently.
Especially the acquisition brands.
Well that was my lead in actually...'Not that I know how the RV industry works'.......
Cujo7240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo7240 View Post
So you had the WCFO charger in your new 2018 RV? What model is your RV? I'm assuming it's a Forest River manufactured RV and I'm just little surprised they use different brands in there various RV offerings. Not that I have any idea how the RV industry does things, but I would think if they standardized on these types of components they could buy in large volumes to save money and make inventory more streamlined.
I noticed the manual says to only replace parts in the power distribution panel with what they came with originaly. I'm guessing that means I'm not supposed to say swap my 60amp charger for a 75amp charger from PD. Is that correct. From what I see others doing , s they swap both the converter and the appropriate control board at the same time. Not that I think I need to do this at this time, just curious. I haven't even camped in my Wildcat yet.
My trailer is a FR product, a Flagstaff Microlite 25BDS. The converter is clearly a WFCO with a prominent sticker on the outside of the panel cover.

The "innards" of my power center consist of a circuit board supporting the fuses and some bus bars that support the A/C circuit breakers. That's pretty much half the unit. The other half is the converter which supplies DC to the circuit board for distribution through the fuses to 12 v circuits. The 12V input from the Converter is in common with the connections to the battery so 12 v is supplied and batteries are charges seamlessly.

The only difference in the WFCO converter and the PD converter (which fits the old spot quite nicely) is the quality of the converter itself and the "storage mode". Sometimes the converter/charger module is too large to fit in the space provided in a smaller power center so then it's best to replace the entire unit. Lots of rewiring though. For mine it was three wires on the A/C side, hot, neutral, and ground, all using screw connections. On the DC side I only had to cut the wires at the circuit board of the WFCO converter, strip each, and connect to the heavy duty terminals on the PD unit.

It's only natural for manufacturers to insist that only their parts be used. Good advice for those who know nothing about what they're working on. For others---- ?? Lots of "hybrids" out there that work quite well. Just check out the YouTube videos for just about any possible combination.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #23

Quote:
So you had the WCFO charger in your new 2018 RV? What model is your RV? I'm assuming it's a Forest River manufactured RV and I'm just little surprised they use different brands in there various RV offerings. Not that I have any idea how the RV industry does things, but I would think if they standardized on these types of components they could buy in large volumes to save money and make inventory more streamlined.
I noticed the manual says to only replace parts in the power distribution panel with what they came with originaly. I'm guessing that means I'm not supposed to say swap my 60amp charger for a 75amp charger from PD. Is that correct. From what I see others doing , s they swap both the converter and the appropriate control board at the same time. Not that I think I need to do this at this time, just curious. I haven't even camped in my Wildcat yet.
My trailer is a FR product, a Flagstaff Microlite 25BDS. The converter is clearly a WFCO with a prominent sticker on the outside of the panel cover.

The "innards" of my power center consist of a circuit board supporting the fuses and some bus bars that support the A/C circuit breakers. That's pretty much half the unit. The other half is the converter which supplies DC to the circuit board for distribution through the fuses to 12 v circuits. The 12V input from the Converter is in common with the connections to the battery so 12 v is supplied and batteries are charges seamlessly.

The only difference in the WFCO converter and the PD converter (which fits the old spot quite nicely) is the quality of the converter itself and the "storage mode".

It's only natural for manufacturers to insist that only their parts be used. Good advice for those who know nothing about what they're working on. For others---- ?? Lots of "hybrids" out there that work quite well.

Note: The soldered connections on the WFCO 12 V output alone indicate the level of quality difference from the PD Converter. If the 12 V connection heats up, solder tends to melt, degrading the connection. This creates more heat and eventually the circuit board copper traces melt/burn. The PD uses screw lugs that require an allen wrench to tighten. Tightened to the proper torque and no solder melts.

A common cause of solder joint failure is vibration When larger wire sizes vibrate, strain is placed on the PCB connection. Initially it may only cause slight cracking in the solder but this leads to resistance and heating. The failure cycle has begun. Beyond vibration, just heating and cooling cycles can cause the same cracking.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #24
Denver, CO

Quote:
The article says the Power Products bought out Progressive Industries, not Progressive Dynamics.
Progressive Industries makes high end EMS for the RVs, which is different than Progressive Dynamics that makes the power distribution panel s and converters that we are talking about here, but good to know though, since I just bought one of their EMS units for my RV.
Whoops. They need to change their names so I am not confused. Lol.
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Whoops. They need to change their names so I am not confused. Lol.

I wonder just how many companies in the country have names that start with "Progressive"?

Just Google-ing the term Progressive yields 89,400,000 results.

Tags
converter, power